Why I Love My Small Town

Why I Love My Small Town

Growing up in a small town was truly a blessing in disguise.

376
Why I Love My Small Town
ThreeStatesPlusOne

Small towns are truly the best. I didn't think so a year ago, but I see now that it's true.

I always thought I would graduate high school and move away to a big city to attend college. That didn't happen. I just relocated to another small town, and that gave me a new appreciation for both that one and my own hometown.

The population of my hometown is less than 1000 people. There are two traffic lights and one gas station. There is no mall, no movie theater and no supermarket. There are more cows and cornfields than I can count.

Big events include high school football games and small carnivals. Nothing is more exciting than heading to the high school on Friday night. Nothing is more relaxing than spending a Saturday in August drinking homemade lemonade and watching the parade at the summer festival.

The sense of community and support makes up for any shopping or entertainment hubs my small town might lack. I can always count on running into a friendly face at the corner gas station or family-owned restaurant. Everyone asks how my family is doing or how school has been for me. When they ask, "how are you?" they really mean it.

Friends, relatives and neighbors are always willing to lend a hand. Since my family doesn't happen to live just down the road like most people, someone else is always happy to help out with whatever my family might need, whether it be home improvement or carpooling.

And when times get tough, I know I can always count on my small town to pick me up. My nearby friends are always willing to be my confidants, my shoulders to cry on, and my bottomless sources of prayers and good vibes.

I used to think small towns were boring and living there would only keep me from living my dreams. But I know now that without the love and support of my small town, I would not have had the foundation I needed to start chasing those dreams. I am so grateful for my hometown and the people I know and love. Growing up there was truly a blessing in disguise.