You Need To Be Listening To Throwback Songs

Older music should definitely be given more attention, considering we all used to jam out to it

186

Throughout our lives, we are constantly bombarded with music through the mainstream radio. It is evident that we listen to whatever song is popular at the current time, and we continue to listen to it for a brief time. After that, we begin listening to whatever hit song an artist creates next, and start listening to those songs. I often wonder why people do that. Have they lost interest in the previous music all of a sudden? It is interesting how our society is enthralled by one aspect of life, but soon moves on to something entirely new. I think this also shows how the industry pushes one hit single on the younger generation during one season, but they know individuals will get bored listening to the same song all the time. That is why they constantly try promoting new music, so their audience does not get bored. They understand that if their consumers get tired of listening to the same old hits, it will only be a matter of time before they start to lose business because people won’t be interested in buying their products (CD’s) anymore.

Though there is a demand for fresh and exciting music, throwback songs can definitely have a positive impact on the person’s mind. For instance, one of the reasons why listening to throwback music is so crucial is because it brings you back to the past, whether it is your childhood or adolescent years. It reminds you of the times when you used to constantly enjoy yourself and spend time with your friends. I believe that listening to throwback songs revives a part of you that became lost over the years. For instance, when I listen to music from the early 2000’s, it brings back wonderful memories. You start to feel nostalgic of the olden days. You start to have an overwhelming flood of emotions since all you can remember is your character in the past. Music can reveal a lot about a person, so listening to throwback songs allows an individual to remember how they used to be.

Another reason why listening to throwback music is crucial is because it allows an individual to express who they really are. Often times, people jump on the bandwagon of only listening to what is popular at the moment. This should not be the case. People should be allowed to listen to whatever music they want, whether it is five years old or one hundred years old. They should listen to the songs they want to, and not try to fit into the box of listening to whatever is on the radio. Many older songs definitely have unique, distinct sounds you do not get to hear in today’s music. Therefore, it allows a person to experience legendary artists they probably have not heard before. For instance, my all time favorite entertainer is Michael Jackson. Many people get confused because they would expect me to name someone from my generation. However, I just tell them that Michael Jackson’s music speaks to my soul because he sings about topics that interest me. It does not matter if he is an 80’s singer.

All in all, it is important to listen to throwback music because of the nostalgia and uniqueness that comes with it. Instead of always blindly listening to what is on the radio, it may not hurt to have a blast from the past, and hear some older tunes.