Sorority Are Not Like The Movies, They're A Home Away From Home
Sororities

5 Reasons Joining A Sorority Will Give You Your Home Away From Home

Why a sorority is the best place for you.

283
Arizona Birzgalis

I joined a sorority when I was a sophomore and I am proud to say that sororities are not like what you see in movies or television. I believe every woman should join a sorority because it is the best thing a woman can put themselves through. Here are some reasons why I believe every college woman should join a sorority.

1. Sisterhood

This is probably the most obvious one of all time but when you join a home, you gain a whole family. You are introduced to women who you would have never known before joining such an establishment because a sorority is so diverse and filled with women you may have never seen yourself being best friends with before joining.

2. Connections

Believe it or not, when you meet 180-plus girls you are introduced to so many different opportunities. Whether it is a waitressing job, real-life job opportunities after college, or gaining new experiences. When you join you are basically networking yourself and gaining friends at the same time. One time, I went to a shooting range and ran into a girl who was a manager there and she happened to be in the same sorority at a different chapter!

3. Encouragement and Support

When I say this, I'm not lying. Your sisters have your back through every hard time you can think of. You don't have to be close to every single one of your sisters for them to support you, cheer you on, or hold your hand through a hard time. When you are in college you are away from your family and it is important to have a group of friends to be there for you when you need them.

4. Philanthropy

I think this is my absolute favorite. Every sorority has different philanthropy and I found a home that holds one that is dearest to my heart. I have devoted my time to it and it has impacted my life completely and made me figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. I even received an internship with my chapter's philanthropy, that is how much philanthropy has affected my life.

5. Community Service

When I was in high school I never liked community service. I always dreaded doing community service but when I joined a sorority I gained so much knowledge that beyond myself I was awakened to love community service. I got to be with my sisters while I helped my community at the same time.