Why Is The First Of The Month Called "Rabbit Rabbit Day?"

Have you ever wondered why people wish each other "Happy Rabbit Rabbit Day" on the first of each month.

589

For years I have heard the phrase "Happy Rabbit Rabbit Day" on the first of the month from various people. However, when I've asked them what it meant, they didn't exactly know. Finally, I did my own research and now understand the meaning of this tradition. While the origin of this phrase is not entirely known, it is believed that it started sometime in the early 1900s. This tradition holds that if the first thing you say on the first of the month is "rabbit rabbit," you will have good luck for the entire month, at least according to Sarah Jessica Parker, who swears by it. Others say "rabbits" or "white rabbit." So, why rabbits? Rabbits have been seen as a symbol of luck for over 2,000 years (hence the superstition of rubbing a rabbit's foot), as well as having powers of renewal. If you forget to say "rabbit rabbit" when you wake up, all is not lost! You can still say "tibbar, tibbar" at any time during the month and it should work just as well. This tradition is most popular in North America and Great Britain, but it may be practiced elsewhere.