The Mystery Behind Stonehenge

Full disclaimer: this is not going to be an article about answers to the questions or conspiracy theories. It's going to be a review of what people know and what scientists believe, so that you can create your own answer.

Almost everyone has heard of the large stone ring in Wiltshire, England, but what exactly makes some people so fascinated about it? Why is it described so mysteriously, and what makes the structure such a major topic for hundreds of conspiracy theories?
Let's start with what we know. Most people agree that Stonehenge was built around 3,000 B.C.E., making it around 5,000 years old by today's time. However, when it was first built, it wasn't in the same formation that resides in today. The structure that most of us know was created much later after 1900. The stones for it came from the Welsh town of Maenclochog, nearly 200 miles away (322 km) from the construction site.

Now things start to get slightly weird, since Stonehenge's rocks are big. Really, really big. The largest stones, known as Sargent, are up to 30 feet (9 meters) tall and weigh about 25 tons (22 metric tons) each. The date in which this structure was made puts it far before England ever saw wheels and pulleys, meaning that the question of how they managed to bring such massive slabs of rocks from so far away still puzzles people to this day.

Another confusion is that we don't know what the purpose of it was. It's design might imply that it I was made for spiritual reasons or has connections to the creators' cultures. The existence of bodies buried near the site implies that it might also have been a burial site.

Now that you know the basics, what do you think it the reason behind the place's mystery. What place in history did the rocks serve? And what more is there that we don't know?