Why I'm Not Excited To Vote In My First Presidential Election

Maybe I'll Just Write In Ron Swanson And Call It A Day

17
irish central

I am not one to express my political views or even want to get into that topic, but I can tell you one thing: this is my first presidential election I am able to vote in, and it makes me sad.

It's not the fact that I'm getting old, or I am not the most educated in politics, because I did vote in the primaries, it is the sole fact that in my eyes, neither candidate is appealing.

People tell me that it is my right to vote, and especially that women should represent in the polls, and I do not disagree with that. It's just that I can not vote for one of these two nominees and feel good about it. People also tell me to vote for the best of the worst, but I can not find it in my heart to cast vote for someone I do not whole-heartedly believe could make our country better.

How am I supposed to vote for someone I do not feel comfortable handing the United States over to?

How am I supposed to vote for someone I do not feel embodies the ideals America was built on?

I am not trying to bash on either candidate, however, I am trying to simply ask why?

The president is someone who Americans are supposed to look to for leadership. Someone who we feel comfortable representing each one of us. Someone who we would want to have a conversation with about football or something as deep as the economy. A president is someone who should be the embodiment of America. And yet, here we stand, with candidates that I do not feel do so.

This election, in my opinion, was purely media based. Whomever received the most media, did better in the polls. How could it not be like this, when there were candidates bashing each other on a personal level and creating the perfect version of Keeping Up With the Kandidates.

Any candidate that kept their mouth shut, and spoke purely about their politics, seemed to drop like flies. Their views not being polarized made them "boring" or "not worth the media". Which, in the end, did not capture the attention of others.

If you ask me, that is not what America is about. It's about compromising with each other and doing what's best for the common good. It's about being able to work with others and respecting their various opinions, even if you do not necessarily agree with them.

It's not about media attention, or making your opponent look bad so you can look good. It's not about voting for a candidate that is the best of the worst.

It should be about voting for a candidate who you feel comfortable representing America. Who you believe will provide a better life for you and for all the individuals who live in this beautiful country.

This is my first presidential election to vote in, and it makes me sad. Does that sound right?