Why I Wear a Mask

Why I Wear a Mask

It's not just about me.

35
Why I Wear a Mask
Bri Nicole

I had a conversation with a friend who does not agree with wearing a mask and by the end of the conversation I understood why he chooses not to wear one, but he did not understand why I choose to wear one. I think a lot of people see this as "Oh my rights have been taken away," and they don't look at the bigger picture of what a mask can do for a few months. You are right that it is your right not to wear one as they are NOT mandatory like some will have you believe. But it is also my right to wear one as it is my right to tell you not to come near, touch, or be too close to me since you choose not to wear it.

I will not argue with someone who chooses not to wear a mask. However, if you are not wearing a mask and you get to close I will say something and here's why.

I am not thinking about your health, and to be honest I'm not even really thinking of myself. I am thinking about my son who is dependent on his mother staying healthy as my body is currently his home. I am thinking about the possibility of him being born and someone getting to close who shows no symptoms and I bring it home to him. I am thinking of my grandparents who are at a higher risk of getting this virus and what it could do to them. But mostly I am thinking of how I want this to end and if by wearing a mask for an hour while I grocery shop will help reduce the spread, then I'll wear the damn mask.

We need to stand together and not be selfish...

During my conversation with my friend I heard a lot of me, me, me. The only thing that crossed my mind throughout the conversation was "Why are you so concerned with just yourself." I have news for everyone, the government is not taking away your rights. They are not forcing you to wear a mask, for God's sake this is not a conspiracy. I think if the government wanted to control us they would come up with something better than a virus that is sweeping the world. This is not something in just the US, it is a world wide pandemic. Stop being selfish and thinking this is just about you. Stop thinking about how for an hour you had to wear a mask. Think about the people dying, or in the hospital alone battling this. Think about the doctors, nurses, and all the other people risking their health and their families to take care of others. Think about the people who are out of work because of this. Think about someone other than yourself....

Don't wear the mask for you, wear it to stop the spread...

I don't know how long this will last. But what I do know is if wearing a mask will protect me, my family, and most importantly my soon to be newborn son, then I will wear the damn mask. Hell, I will wear a hazmat suit if it will help stop the spread and will help open businesses back up. But for those who refuse to wear one, know you aren't solving anything. You are not helping the world become a better place or get better. You are prolonging the process by being selfish and going out into the world without being protected. You are not standing up for anything here other than your own selfishness.

At the end of the day, this is not about you, it's about all of us. Help stop the spread by letting go of your own stubbornness. Help protect the ones who need protecting. Be united.