Why I Cannot Forgive People Who Voted for Trump in 2016

It isn't in the past.

35
Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

We're close to the 2020 Presidential election, and Joe Biden is challenging our racist, sexist, buffoon of a President.

Now it seems like an obvious decision. Biden was previously Vice President under Barack Obama, and has a lot of political knowledge and experience. He also is openly supportive of several different groups, even if he hasn't always been. While the current president has ran our country to the ground, is openly hateful towards several different groups, and is pretty much insane.

However, I thought it was an easy decision four years ago. Trump was a reality TV host running against an experienced woman. But a bunch of people can't handle voting for an accomplished woman, and thought that she committed some heinous crime with her emails. Even though the email thing was disproven several times, and Trump arguably committed worse sins with his taxes and his assaulting of several women.

So Trump won. And he might win again.

Now several former Trump voters have said that they won't vote for him again, or that they regretted it. And while that is a good thing right now, I cannot find myself to forgive those people, or just accept them.

Why you may ask?

Because they were willing to overlook so many things about Trump earlier. They were willing to overlook the racism, the sexism, the assault allegations, because they felt like Hillary was terrible. Or they couldn't handle paying taxes. Or they felt like he would be a good businessman, even though there's no proof of his success.

And what exactly was the dealbreaker? The Stormy Daniels thing? The response to the 2017 hurricanes in Texas? All of that is not as egregious as his previous offenses.

They were willing to put so many people's basic human rights at risk, and overlook all his faults, for a chance at success. I can't forgive that.

Now that Trump has confirmed Amy Coney Barnett, the Supreme Court could easily overturn things that should be basic human rights. Like Roe v. Wade, which gives women the right to choose to get an abortion, or marriage equality. As a queer woman, I can't get past that.

I hope those voters put their money where their mouths are, and actually vote for Biden. But it will take a lot for me to forgive them.