Why Do Gyms Seem So Gender Segregated?

Why Do Gyms Seem So Gender Segregated?

End the stigma that women can't lift weights too.

256
Why Do Gyms Seem So Gender Segregated?
theluxuryspot.com

Since I started going to the gym about two years ago, I’ve always noticed the clear stereotypical types of people who attend. There’s the huge buff guys that only stay in the weight lifting section at one side of the gym, there’s the run-of-the-mill exercise machines/treadmill type of people, and then there’s the women’s section.

Now, don’t get me wrong, there’s a ton of people who fluctuate throughout all of these sections, but usually people stay where they’re comfortable. One day I decided to make my way through the weight-lifting section to work out my arms with the smaller weights. Now-- standing at 4’11”-- I expected some of the people to stare, but when it happened I began to feel awkward and not right.

I don’t understand why there’s a stigma on women that they can’t lift weights at the gym. And I feel as if gyms across the country aren’t helping this either by making a specific “area” for women in their vicinity. I applaud the women that I see all over Instagram taking progress pictures of their gains from the gym because they built up the courage to ignore the funny looks they got when they stepped foot in the weight section of the gym.

I truly hope that more women will begin to built up that courage to do so as well.