Finding Love Today Is Like Shopping For A Car

Gone are the days of our grandparents who married their high school sweetheart or the next door neighbor.

6
Image by Photo Mix from Pixabay

With our highly connected society, we have access to options of all sorts. A multitude of different clothing options, food to eat, and cars to buy our at our fingertips. As a consequence of the variety of choices we now have, this has transferred into the realm of dating with apps such as Tinder, Bumble, and many others.

However, these online dating services, as well as social media, tend to make all of us a bit picky about our prospective significant others. This is certainly not a bad thing, but when we treat our boyfriends and girlfriends like disposable silverware due to the fact that we now have access to a much lager dating pool, it tends to inflate our sense of who we deserve.

Don't get me wrong. We all are deserving of someone we find attractive, someone who has our best interests in mind, and someone with whom we can have a close, lifetime companionship. Unfortunately though, we are pushed by society to adopt the mindset that if we fall "out of love", then there are plenty of others out there. Here's the kicker: Love is the choice that occurs after that initial "spark" dies.

After that rush of serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins, we all have a choice to love our partner. We can't be tricked into thinking that that chemical high can be achieved with switching out our partners in our 40's. With the divorce rate of middle-aged people being higher than ever, remember that dedication in a relationship is more attractive than someone new and exciting.

That’s not to say that everyone should stay in the first, or even third, relationship that they’re in. Sometimes it can be hard to find someone you click with, and other times many people we end up dating aren’t faithful, as sad as that is. What I mean to say is, check yourself, and think about whether you’re putting commitment and purpose in your relationship, instead of just going through people like I myself go through bars of chocolate.