Why Every Female Should Listen to The Regrettes

You're missing out if you haven't.

1064
Google

The Regrettes are a garage-rock band who express their feelings about real life stuff, through catchy tunes that will have you jamming no matter the occasion. Any female who is growing up in the world we live in today, can really enjoy and relate to their music. Their album, Feel Your Feelings Fool, ranges from what it is like being a girl to not being apologetic for who you are, all the way to speaking your thoughts. With the Women’s March and the movement we have going on, their music gives us girls a little push to advocate girl power and know that ultimately, we can do anything we set our mind to. Here are some relatable song quotes from their album.

A Living Human Girl

“I've got pimples on my face

And grease in my hair

And prickly legs, go ahead and stare

An ass full of stretch marks and little boobs

A nice full belly that's filled with food

Sometimes I'm pretty and sometimes I'm not

So let's take a listen, hit me with your best shot

I don't exercise and I don't read books

So if you want to criticize me, go ahead, take a look

I'm not being bossy, I'm saying how I feel

And I'm not a bitch for stating what is real

Sometimes I'm girly and sometimes I'm not

So let's take a listen, hit me with your best shot”

If this doesn’t relate to girls growing up, I honestly don’t know what does. The realism through their music is what makes it so effective and relatable to girls. The lead singer, Lydia Night, wrote a lot of the songs on this album while being in High School while she was going through this. So listening to this song makes you grateful that somebody knows what you went through.

Seashore

“You're talkin' to me like a child

Hey I've got news, I'm not a little girl

And no, I won't give you a little twirl

You're talkin' to me like I'm sad

Hey I've got news, I'm not doin' too bad”

This is the opening to the song, and there is a lot of meaning behind it already. This can be related to breakups in friendships and relationships. But a lot of this song has to do with the belittling of women. How men feel that they are entitled and can talk to us in a certain way that makes us seem less. In Verse 2 of the song the lyrics are:

“You're talkin' to me like I'm dumb

Well I've got news, I've got a lot to say

There's nothing you can do to take that away”

This shows us girls that even if somebody wants to belittle us, no matter the situation at hand, it’s totally fine to speak up.

Lacy Loo

“We packed our bags to get away

He said, "Babe, this gonna be easy

We'll be fine, we'll be okay

I've got a van where we can stay

But I don't need your maybes

I need someone to dance with me, baby"

This is one of my favorite songs on the album and I am sure it can be interpreted in so many different ways. This chorus gives me emotions towards love. This is kind of like, hey- if you like me, be with me. But you better be serious because I don’t need no maybes in my life. The Regrettes get me.

I definitely recommend listening to The Regrettes to anyone but especially if you’re a female, you need to listen to them. Their music has so much real life in it, you can’t go back. I feel this band advocates being yourself and following your dreams. I personally listen to them every day, and it motivates me to keep speaking my thoughts, writing, and following my dreams.