why driving is starting to suck

Driving Has Become The Worst Thing Ever

Why I'll be selling my car in a few years.

208

Let's go back to being 17 years old for a moment and you just got your drivers license. You might shake a little because you were so nervous about your taking test but also very excited that you passed. You get your license then either your Mom or Dad hands you keys to your car. Either you got a nice car or an absolute clunker like me, you did not care; you finally have your first taste of freedom. You can suddenly go to whatever fast food joint you desired, your friend's house, movie theater, school, basically anywhere you wanted without having to ask your parent or friend to give you a ride. This was basically the freedom you always dreamt about when you were a kid.

*Sigh*

Sadly, after maybe a week or so of driving by yourself and really pay attention to how OTHER people drive, you begin to realize that before everyone gets in their car to start their day or night, along with their cream and sugar, they add quite a lot of COMPLETELY F%#&ING STUPID in their coffee.

What was once a glamorous dream to me as a kid, driving has become an absolute nightmare for me. Not that I dislike driving, I love cruising down a country road or highway with no one on the road with Odesza or Tremonti blasting from my car speakers. It's only when other people are on the road that makes me want to bang my head against the steering wheel.

Maybe it's a Maryland thing because I've had people from other states tell that we are some of the worst drivers they have ever seen. I can't really argue with that considering I get nervous whenever I get in my car. However, Corey Taylor, the singer of Slipknot and Stone Sour has a book called "You're Making Me Hate You" which is basically him ranting and raving like a grouchy old man about everything. In his book, he has a whole chapter on driving and he says in his book that California is notorious for bad drivers. Actually, how HE describes it is a bit more vulgar but I'm 70% sure that Odyssey is PG content provider. Note: I said 70%.

The wait was I talking about? Oh yeah, bad drivers!

Apparently, bad drivers are a Maryland and California thing. I wouldn't know about California since I've never even been there. But I can definitely confirm Maryland drivers are pretty bad.

Why is it whenever a little drop of rain starts to fall from the sky, everyone and their mother tends to SLAM on their break and drive 20 MPH under the speed limit!? I understand if it is absolutely pouring outside; driving slow in when it's pouring is being safe and making sure you're not hydroplaning. BUT DRIZZLE!? Drizzle is not hazardous so get off your break and DRIVE YOUR CAR!

I can go on and on about other things about people's terrible driving but Corey Taylor's book already covers most of it in the bad driver's chapter so go read his book. It's awesome.

However, there is one part of the bad driver's chapter I want to add to and it is the ONE THING that drives me unbelievably insane. It is the thing that is completely stressed for the new driver to use during drivers ed but for some reason, people completely neglect to use. It doesn't require rocket science to figure out to use, it is not out of reach, and what it is supposed to do is in its name! THE. TURN. SIGNAL.

OH. MY. GOD. WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT USING YOUR TURN SIGNAL!? IT IS NOT HARD TO USE AND ITS RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR STEERING WHEEL!

Nothing drives me crazier than a cat on catnip when someone I'm head of makes a turn or changes lanes without flipping that stupid little stick that is AGAIN RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR STEERING WHEEL! There is no excuse for NOT using it and it makes madder than a mad hatter!

I also want to point out that I am not a perfect driver. I have made some dumb mistakes on the road myself. But I can learn to never make these mistakes ever again.

I'm gonna end this one with me telling you about myself. I'd love to move to New York City sometime in the future either in the after college or a year or two after graduation. Yes, I know the rent is very high up there and living, in general, is expensive. I'm going to figure that out once I cross that bridge. But let me tell you one of the things I'm going to do if I make that move. I will sell my car before I go up there. Not only will that get rid of my car payment and save me money on gas, it will completely destroy any stress that driving gives me. Sure, I could take my car up there but... have you seen how much traffic goes on there? Cars packed so close together with some pretty angry drivers behind the wheel, that me looking at it on the street makes my anxiety go through the roof.

Plus when it comes to New York City where public transportation is endless, why would you want to drive there? Even if you didn't want to take any public transportation, you could walk around the city, ride a bike, or if you wanna be cool like Casey Neistat, you ride a boosted board in the city. Just wear a helmet.

I think I'm rambling again. Or am I just trying to get this word count up? You may never know.

The point is when I move up to New York City, my car will be sold to someone else and the stress of driving will be a thing of the past for me. I cannot wait for that day. It is funny because as a kid, I couldn't wait to get a car and go cruise to different places. Now I can't wait to get rid of my car. Until then I have to tough it out for a few years and hope that I don't end up in an accident simply because someone decided not to use their F&#$ING TURN SIGNAL!

Sorry for yelling but my lanta it is not that hard, people. Just use your turn signal.