Why I Decided Not To Rush A Sorority

Why I Decided Not To Rush A Sorority

Not everyone is cut out for the sorority life.

118
Why I Decided Not To Rush A Sorority
Popsugar

I remember during my first week at Drexel, I was extremely excited to go to the iconic "Night on the Row" event. I had my heart set on joining a sorority in my freshman year of college. I wanted to have a close-knit group of girlfriends for once in my life. I was always an introvert in high school, so I felt that an opportunity like this would help me to make more friends, and help me identify with other freshman girls on campus. In addition, I wanted to join a sorority to become closer to the Drexel community as a whole. I remember walking up the stairs to the first house, and being in complete shock when the sorority girls opened the door. A majority of them were skinnier than me, prettier than me, tanner than me, and had nicer hair and clothes than me. Immediately, I became very shy, self-conscious and didn't speak a word. I knew right away that I wouldn't fit in with this particular sorority.

Then I thought, maybe there was a sorority that would be more fitting for me?

I did some research, and found a few sororities on campus that I had more of a chance getting into. I inquired about joining one of them and participated in an "interview." It seemed to me that my dream of joining a sorority was finally about to come true, until the sorority member told me the cost per term- around $300 to $500. My jaw dropped to the floor. I'm already paying for textbooks, food and housing, and they want an extra $300-$500 per term? (Side note: we have four terms at Drexel- that's potentially $1200 every year.) However, there are some cheaper options, but they still cost a decent amount of money. There was no way in hell that I could afford this expense, on top of all of my other college expenses.

After I realized that I was too broke to fulfill my dream of being in a sorority, I felt really bad about it for a few months. Many of my friends began to join sororities, so naturally I felt left out. I always heard them talking about all of the fun events they were having, and could see the innate bond they were forming with their sisters- something that I would never have. However, I began to realize that behind closed doors, things were not as perfect as they seemed. I heard about all of the drama and bullshit that was going on in their circle, and honestly, I felt relieved that I didn't have to deal with that. I had too much to worry about already, such as schoolwork and other friends, to be worried about a whole group of 75+ girls.

If I'm being honest, just thinking about having to see and interact with 75+ girls makes me want to gag.

This past year was a crazy one for me- I learned to accept myself and came out as queer, I lost many of my friends from freshman year, and I began to get more involved in political and social issues, especially those surrounding LGBT rights. At this point in my life, I don't regret my decision whatsoever. I don't think I would ever fit in with the typical sorority crowd. I'm too gay, too awkward, too politically correct, and too broke. I would never want to put myself through the rush process only to feel like an outsider in my own sorority chapter.

Before a sorority girl comments on this article and calls me out for furthering the stereotypical narrative of Greek life, let me just tell you this- I know that not all sororities are this way. I know that every sorority is not like the movies. I know that's not real life. I know there are many positives to joining Greek life. I'msure that many sororities are accepting of girls from all walks of life, and that they're not all drama-filled and expensive as hell. If you are in Greek life and love your sorority, then more power to you! To each his own.

My point is to not bash every sorority on Drexel's campus. My point is that everyone is different, and some people are just not cut out for Greek life. I am one of those people. I want to let all of the incoming freshman, or any of the girls that may feel like they don't fit the 'typical' sorority mold that it is okay not to participate in Greek life. There are other ways to meet people and get closer to the college community. Take me for an example. Instead of trying to find community in Greek life, I have joined some major-specific clubs, and clubs that I am passionate about, such as the LGBT club.

It's okay to be different. It's okay to be your own person. You will still have an amazing college experience, whether you join a sorority or not.

Julia Stiles says it best: