Why I Chose To Be A Gull

Why I Chose To Be A Gull

How one place made the big decision not so hard.

32
Why I Chose To Be A Gull
US News

Endicott College. People hear it and immediately think one of two things. “Oh, that school with a bunch of preppy white kids?” Or “Hmmm never heard of it, where is it?” Basically, Endicott is a small, private school in the North Shore of Massachusetts, right on the ocean. It is pretty much the most beautiful school in New England, but that’s just my biased opinion. I bet anyone who attends this school could relate to why I chose to attend EC, so I decided to throw together a few reasons.

1. Beach, Beach, Beach

Drive onto Hale St. and you immediately see ocean. Who doesn’t love to say “I go to school on a beach.” We have three private beaches and that immediately drew me to the school. I can look out of my window and see the ocean. After class on a nice day everyone goes and hangs at one of the three beaches: Tupper Beach, Mingo Beach, and Brindle Beach.

2. Small School

Personally, I never would’ve survived at a UMass Amherst or UNH. Here, the professors know me and remember me. Everything is very personal and you begin to see the same people in classes and develop so many friends. My class sizes are small enough where I’m not a number, and I can get the help and attention if need be.

3. Internships

Not many people can say after college they have experience at three different places. My internship with a sports agency brought me places I never thought I would go, literally and figuratively. I got to do an event with members of the San Diego Chargers in San Diego and that opportunity would have been impossible without the work of the internship program. Endicott is one of the few places that has an internship program where internships are required for freshmen, sophomores, and seniors. This program really helps students go far in life, and potentially have a job straight out of college.

4. Residence Halls

I live in an old mansion. Near the beach. Enough said.

5. Unique Programs

I chose to major in Sport Management. A program not many schools have and schools that do have this major, don’t have as great of a program as Endicott. I also chose to minor in events management, which is a very rare thing for many schools to have. The fact that Endicott had both things that I wanted to do drew me right to it because not many schools have these very unique programs. All of the programs here have such great reputations and students excel in them. Endicott has amazing programs for nursing and education, but all of the programs are so amazing that you really can’t go wrong when choosing a major here.

6. Boston

Being so close to such a big city is one of my favorite things about Endicott. It’s only a 30-minute train ride into Boston, which makes it easy to go into the city for the day, dinner with friends, or an interview. This aspect of Endicott was huge for me when I wanted to go to school in Boston, but no schools offered my major. If you haven’t taken advantage of going into the city, I definitely think you should because it has been such a great way to explore other places besides campus.

7. School Spirit

Even at the DIII level, I’ve never seen a small school with more school spirit. Everyone here proudly wears the navy blue and kelly green. Whether it’s a hockey game, basketball game, or football game, everyone is proud to support our teams. Every time a team wins their game it’s definitely a great day to be a gull!

Coming to Endicott was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Choosing a college is a life changing thing and EC has definitely changed my life for the better and has opened so many doors for me. Go Gulls!