Why I Chose To Move Over Five Hours Away For College

I craved adventure in the great wide somewhere, and I finally found it.

73

As early as I can remember, I have always craved going to far away places. I wanted to be somewhere where I could grow from my surroundings and find out who I am destined to be.

In my opinion, the most important thing about finding a college is how you feel towards that school. Not the moment you first get there or even an hour after the campus tour. It is easy to fall in love with first impressions just because making a college decision is such a big decision, the first real adult decision that impacts and forages the rest of your life.

If the college makes you fall in love and you can envision yourself being there weeks after, that is how you know that college is the best choice for you. No matter if it is near or far, you always should follow your heart. That is why I chose to go away from home, six hours away, for college.

I grew up in a military family. I was born in Fort Benning, Georgia. My father was a Civil Affairs officer for the US Army. We lived in Georgia a few times, Texas once, and all before I moved up to Pennsylvania. However, being as young as I was, I was always told how I loved this certain zoo in Texas, and vaguely remember life in the South.

I guess I am a bit frustrated that I don't remember 100% of it, you know? I rely on the stories and photographs of my early childhood, but that was it. I wanted to remember more. The only real thing I remember was when I first moved to Pennsylvania, I sang along to Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I was living in a small town, same routine and same type of people. I craved adventure in the great wide somewhere.

Growing up here, there are obviously moments that I cherish. I have made, what I believe to be, life long friends. I was a part of my local YMCA's swim team, earned a black belt in taekwondo, and grew so much as a person. There are some moments I still laugh about with my parents, both that meant the world and too personal to share online. Despite with how open I seem to be when it comes to writing these articles.

However, with the good, there is also the bad. I have touched upon before getting bullied at the Catholic elementary school in town. It was also hard adjusting to moving here without my dad fully being around since he was called on for multiple deployments for about four years plus of on and off government work for the military. My father is an amazing man for his strong dedicated to helping improve the nation, and I could never be prouder. Even if I wasn't the best at showing when I was younger.

Along those lines, I never felt like I fit in anymore. I was the girl who followed the beat of her own drum, trying to make a name for myself. I have come to realize that my town is filled with a majority of like-minded people who sometimes never leave. The possibility of even leaving the town can become scary and many have voiced their opinion.

I am not saying everyone share those beliefs, but I definitely heard more wanting to stay safe than take risks. Where I grew up is overall a traditional Italian town where everyone was family, so that alone made me feel like an outcast since I never felt like I had a complete family. Though, that was what brought my mom and I closer, in my opinion. Anyways, growing up, I never really saw any true progression for change.

To this day, I always feel some sort of embarrassment about the reputation I believed my town carried sometimes, especially how people have a tendency to call about the town and the people. To this day, I never call New Castle my hometown. I always say I'm from Pittsburgh because honestly, I feel like I spent more time there then I did in my small town. Ironically, I've seen more change since I left my town.

With that, I guess that is why when we moved to New Castle, Pennsylvania, a small town an hour north of Pittsburgh, I always assumed that town was temporary and looked forward to the next adventure, next school, and just simply next chapter of my life.

I lived in northwestern Pennsylvania for about 13 years of my life. When my dad's job meant him moving to Lexington, Kentucky, I believed my mom and I would. He was retired at this point, so no need to live on an army post. It was a possibility of moving somewhere new and starting fresh, which I craved. Unfortunately, at this point, I was halfway through high school and did not get to seize that opportunity since my parents decided I should stay and graduate where I started.

When it came to my senior year, I applied to a total of fifteen schools. Over half of those being out of state. When I began touring campuses, none of them felt right close to my house. I guess I was a bit biased since I felt like I would just be settling if I stayed within the thirty minute range. All of the schools close to me were either state funded or private, but I'll admit it.. I believed I was better than that.

Not to say there is anything wrong with state schools, but I wanted more of a challenge. I felt like I would be repeating my high school experience and not really pushing myself to become better and try harder. I wanted so much for my life and was determined to get it, no matter how far away I had to go. Also, being LGBTQ+, I never got the feeling I fit in or would have a support system really unless I went far away.

By the beginning of 2017, I had three schools on my mind - Michigan State, George Mason, and Temple. I remember asking my mother that previous summer that if I applied to a school out in Philadelphia, to visit since we always saw the high way destination for Philadelphia - over 300 miles from my location.

Luckily, my mother agreed. So, when I got accepted in mid January, my mother and I made the trip east to visit Temple University. Obviously, and like I have said many times before, I fell in love with Temple and committed the first time I visited.

Coming to Philadelphia and spending my first semester here, I have come to realize a few things. Philadelphia, and within that, Temple University, is a place full of diversity. Everywhere I go, I know that there are different people with different stories to tell from all different backgrounds. There is something about the thought of that, that just fills me with so much excitement.

I have met so many more people than I ever did back home. With that, college offers so many opportunities, and even more being a subway ride away from the city. I know that being within the political science world, this is where I am meant to be at this moment, so hopefully one day I can land the best job.

I finally feel like I have settled somewhere and have no desire to leave any time soon.