Why I Won't Put My Boyfriend First

Why I Won't Put My Boyfriend First

Two important relationships. One first place.

46
Why I Won't Put My Boyfriend First
Hannah Clements

Recently, my big brother, being a big brother and all, asked me why I liked my boyfriend so much. I had to think for a second because I knew my answer had to be good in order to even slightly impress my brother. So, I thought about it and replied with “He loves Jesus, he’s hardworking and kind.”

Jacob, my boyfriend, is everything I have prayed for in a boyfriend. He is godly, kind, sweet, funny, handsome, smart and so much more. He’s my best friend, constant supporter, and I simply adore him. My favorite thing about him is that he makes me a better person. More importantly, he is a great influence on me and leads me in my relationship with the Lord in ways that he doesn’t even see. I get the privilege to see his walk with the Lord every day. And let me tell you, it is a beautiful thing. Jacob is very important to me, and, with all of this said, I won’t put him first in my life. Here’s why:

I won’t put him first because my relationship with God is first and it always will be. When Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment is, he replied with, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37). I don’t think we should take anything that Jesus says lightly, especially not something that he says is the greatest commandment. I won’t put my boyfriend first because, first and foremost, my love goes to God.

Although Jacob makes me feel like the happiest girl on the planet, he can’t give me the ultimate joy that I have experienced in Jesus. He can’t give me the peace, grace and perfect love that only comes from Jesus. I wouldn’t want him to. Because of this intimate relationship that I have with the Lord, I know that our relationship will not work without the Lord. It won’t work without the Lord helping us to love and serve each other and others well. I’ll put the Lord first, so that He can teach me how to love Jacob well.

I can’t put Jacob before my Savior, and the best thing about this statement is that I know that Jacob wouldn’t want me to. I have no worries about Jacob and I’s relationship because 1) He isn’t the center of it, Jesus is and 2) God’s plan is better than anything we could ever plan. Although I love Jacob very much, I don’t have this unrealistic expectation that he can magically complete me. He will fail me and I will fail him. Our relationship won’t ever be perfect, but it can be pretty close to it, only with the help and will of the Lord. Jesus is the only one that can give me this indescribable joy and satisfaction.

Lastly, I’m praying that above all, God will be glorified through our relationship and that we should both always put God first, not each other. I’m praying that God’s will will be done in each of our lives and our relationship; and that God will draw us into His presence and give us holy desires, and help us to be obedient to Him. No matter what happens in our relationship, I know that I will be okay not because of Jacob, but because of Jesus. I put my hope, joy, and security in Him. I firmly believe that Jesus will work everything out for the good of those who love Him, and the most important thing I can do is to seek his kingdom first.

So, who’s first in your life? Your significant other or God, and why?