Why Being Single Is OK

Why Being Single Is OK

There's nothing wrong with being single and here's why.

24

We all do it.

We scroll on Instagram and see post after post of happy, smiling couples, and we think to ourselves, "Why can't that be me?" Then you start to think that you are the only person on the planet that is single, and before you know it, you are buying a container of Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for just yourself.

But let's be real here-- being in a relationship will not solve all your problems. If you think that finding a guy or a girl to date will help your self-esteem, loneliness, or whatever else, this is false thinking. No matter how great a person is, they will let you down. Also, relying on one person to make you feel complete will make you and your date feel exhausted.

And relationships are not a piece of a cake. Remember when you were little and all you wanted was to be tall enough to ride a roller coaster at Six Flags (you Georgia folks will know what I'm talking about)? Then when the top of your head finally reaches the required height limit, you were so excited. Heck yeah, this is what you have been waiting for your whole life! But then, you go on the roller coaster, and it's scarier and bumpier than you had imagined.

A relationship is the same way. You may be expecting a Prince Charming to sweep you off your feet and whisk you away to a better life. However, my friends who are in relationships right now have told me how their relationships are not always easy. In fact, they have told me that dating tends to get in the way of school, friends, and sometimes even causes stress.

Now, I am not saying that dating is terrible! I am just saying that it is important to think of dating in the right mindset.

When I came to college, I had this idea in my head that I would find the man of my dreams here. I looked around the campus at all the good-looking guys walking around, and I thought I hit the hot man jack-pot. However, when one date after another didn't work out, I became frustrated, and often joked with my friends that I would just become a nun and be single forever.

I have come to realize that a.) I was being over-dramatic. b.) Many people don't find their future spouse until after college. c.) I need to just be patient. It is better to wait for the gold than to settle for the silver. You are going to find the right person out there, but first, you got to be happy being single. People are drawn to confident and positive people, and if you are happy in your own skin, others will want to get to know you better.

Rather than focusing on a relationship, focus on school (ugh, I know, this is annoying), your friends (who should always be #1 even if you do start dating someone), and your family. Focus on the relationships with people you do have, rather than the one relationship you don't have.

In college, I have met so many amazing people, and my friends have been my rock through the ups and downs. Last weekend, I didn't have a guy date (I just brought my amazing big as my "date"), and it was honestly SO FUN just being with friends all weekend. It reminded me that I can be happy dancing on the dance floor with my gals rather than dancing with a guy.

Just remember, you are a rocking an awesome person. You have great qualities, and someone out there is just dying to meet someone like you. But until that happens, find contentment in this single season. It may just be your biggest growth period ever.