Why 2016 Was My Best Year Yet

Why 2016 Was My Best Year Yet

2016 was the year I figured out what I truly wanted to do with my life.

13
Why 2016 Was My Best Year Yet
© Sean Kennedy

It seems to me as if everyone had a terrible year. While I understand that this year has brought us many deaths, war and overall sadness, it has also brought us strength to keep moving forward. There is a quote from Stephen Chbosky's novel, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, where he states, "Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody." No matter what struggles us humans are faced with, we have to remember that we are strong enough to get through even the worst of obstacles.

Personally, this year has been the best of my life. 2014 was the year I graduated high school and the year I started my freshman year at college. It was the year of immense change. 2015 was the year I figured out who I am. The ending of a relationship taught me that I am so much more than just a college girl. I am a strong, woman who is able to accomplish any challenge she is faced with. I am more than just a sister, a daughter, a girlfriend. I am my own person and I can and I will reach all of my goals.

2016 was the year I figured out what I truly wanted to do with my life. It was the year I spent with amazing friends and great family. I went on little road trips and day-cations any chance I could. I wanted to see the world. In March, I booked a trip with my best friend to spend the summer of 2017 in Europe. In April, I went to a Brooklyn restaurant with my closest friends and celebrated my 20th birthday. In June, I went on a road trip to North Carolina and fell in love with one of my best friends. We've been dating ever since. In the fall 2016 semester, I worked harder than ever before to get to where I need to be to become successful. I became the Editor in Chief of the Odyssey Stony Brook Community, I conducted research in my field of linguistics, I also was a Teaching Assistant and started an internship writing blog posts for Books That Grow. I finally knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life; I want to be a writer.

This year hasn't been easy, but it sure has been my most successful and happiest year yet. I can't wait to see what 2017 brings me. What challenges lie ahead and what I will accomplish. Bring it on 2017.