Society Needs A Reality Check

Society Needs A Reality Check

14

With Spring Break approaching in a matter of hours, many of you will be galavanting on the beach, flaunting your new bathing suits of all styles, colors and everything in between.  

I know this is a tad after the fact, but I'd like to discuss the absurdity of the recent tweet by Cosmopolitan of a photo of the gorgeous Australian supermodel, Robyn Lawley. They described her as a plus size model. Plus size? You're kidding. I love Cosmopolitan and read it religiously. However, with this comment I need to draw the line.

Our society's interpretation of body image is messed up. It's just not right. It's the reason so many girls are second guessing themselves, wearing baggier clothes and  resorting to unhealthy methods to lose weight so they can look like the models in the Victoria's Secret catalog or the ones in Cosmo and Glamour.  Newsflash! Those photos are not real. 
Check out the photo of Robyn Lawley. I hope you agree – she is, by no means, a plus size model.  She does looks healthy. All skin and bones is not a good look, contrary to what every magazine and blog portrays, these days.

We have got to get a grip on ourselves before this gets more out of hand. Being healthy doesn't mean eating 300 calories a day and working out for two hours, religiously. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a healthy lifestyle and after taking a class that covered a lot on organic food, I think that's the way to go. 
I read Cosmo and Glamour like it's my job. In some ways, it's not their fault for publishing photos of airbrushed models. Every other magazine is doing it, why should they be any different? At the same time, wouldn't it be nice to flip through a magazine and not have to think how skinny the models are are or how toned their arms are? 
I'm so sick of hearing girls complain about their bodies. Seriously, stop. You want to get fit and stay healthy? More power to you, but take care of yourself. Be healthy the right ways, not by opting to choose alcohol over food to save calories or other idiotic things like that. This negative body image s**t has got to stop.
So when you're on the beach next week enjoying the beautiful weather and you want to take a picture with your friends in your adorable swimsuits, do it. Sure, suck it in (don't we all?) and stand on the side that makes you look the best. But don't you dare hate on yourself for the way you look. You're awesome.  

Have a happy and safe spring break!

Source of picture:http://bit.ly/PmMOon