Where To Eat When You're A Vegan In College

You don't always have to order salad.

150
wikimedia commons

If you're like me, you've chosen to stop eating meat and dairy, and you probably label yourself as a vegan. While vegans get a lot of resentment for being "too extreme" or even "rude" about their dietary preferences, it really is a lifestyle that benefits both your body as well as the world around you. However, although restaurants have improved as far as offering vegan options, it can still be really difficult. So what are you supposed to do when you're vegan and on the cliche college budget?

1. Chipotle/Moe's/Qdoba

Mexican fast food has truly become a classic dining option among college students. And the truth is, it's so easy to eat vegan at chains like this. Since they are all entirely up to personal customization, you can pick and choose what ingredients go into your dish. I recommend adding the guac, even if it's extra, because, well, you can't go wrong with guac.

2. IHOP/Friendly's/Perkins

Chances are, you'll end up at a 24-hour diner at least once in your college career. Or maybe you'll go at a totally reasonable hour, it's possible. I honestly find breakfast chains the hardest to navigate in terms of finding vegan dishes, but it is achievable. Normally, you can go for an oatmeal dish, hash browns, home fries, and bagels. For cereal, it's rare that the place will offer non-dairy milk, so honestly bring your own! I did this once at a Perkins, confidently pouring my mason jar of almond milk into my coffee while my jar of almond butter waited patiently to be spread across my freshly toasted english muffin. For breakfast spots especially, I recommend checking out the menu before hand.

3. Chinese Takeout

Chinese food is another easily navigated food chain. Most spots offer a very similar, if not identical, takeout menu that incorporates a vegetarian section. If you're especially cautious, look up any sauces online, as some are made with beef stock. My personal favorites are broccoli with garlic sauce, sauteed mixed vegetables, and steamed vegetables with tofu. If the sauce isn't vegan, stroll down the international aisle at your local grocery store and find a good stir-fry or soy sauce to throw on top of your dish.

4. Indian Food

Indian food is one of my absolute favorite places to go for dinner. They have so many interesting dishes to try out, and they have a very natural, whole foods based philosophy. My favorite dishes are Bayngan Bhurta and Vegetable Jal Frazie. If you're hesitant to try it out, feel free to ask questions! More often than not, they are happy to substitute ingredients in order to make your experience more accessible. While naan, a classic vegan bread, is unfortunately not vegan (it's prepared with yogurt), you can eat as much roti as you want! Roti is a whole wheat version of naan, made with very few ingredients, and in my opinion, just as satisfying. Also, go crazy on the rice, it's like, really good.

5. Olive Garden/Macaroni Grill

Italian food is another thing that I often find it hard to get a satisfying meal. Italy has a large cultural focus on meat and cheese, so naturally, you'll find a lot of these food groups at restaurants. However, with a little doctoring, it is possible! You can always expect to have the option of classic spaghetti and red sauce, which is entirely vegan, as long as the sauce doesn't contain cheese. Most Italian chains offer the "create your own pasta" option, where you can choose from a selection of pasta, sauce, and toppings, along with a side soup or salad. I'm not a huge fan of heavy pastas, so I'll often go for a house salad with balsamic, and I'll ask the server to throw some grilled vegetables on top, and I have yet to encounter a controversy with that.

The most intimidating part about eating out as a vegan, is asking questions and making adjustments to dishes that are already on the menu. But, in the long run, you're the customer, and if you have a great experience you're likely to return to the restaurant, and even recommend it to other vegans! Don't hesitate, or feel too intimidated, to talk to your server. Simply explain to them that you don't eat meat or cheese, I can't see a reason they would say "Sorry, we can't do anything, here's a cracker". Just remember that, this is a lifestyle that you're passionate about, so push your boundaries a little, and make it possible!