"Where Are You From?" Is One Of The Most Complex Questions About My Life To Answer

And somehow, that's the question that gets asked when you meet new people the most.

40

So, as you can guess, I've moved around quite a bit. It's truly shaped me as a person- but made a simple question so hard to answer. I still don't know how to answer that question, so I guess I'll let you guys figure it out at the end of this article by going through a timeline of my life.

First stop: Austin, Texas

I was born in Austin, Texas. The earliest memories of my childhood originated here, and pretty much all of those cute home movies were filmed in Austin. I learned how to walk, talk, and be alive in Austin. I also attended kindergarten and first grade here at Fern Bluff Elementary School. I can't say a lot about it considering I don't remember most of it. Then, after finishing the first grade, we moved to our second stop along the road trip of my life.

Second stop: Clayton, Missouri

You might be thinking: what a drastic change! And trust me, as a first-grader, I was thinking the exact same thing. You were telling me that I was going to move my entire life across the United States and leave all of my friends behind? Wack. We were moving so my father could attend Seminary. I stayed in Clayton from the 2nd to the 4th grade and actually had a blast. I remember meeting my first friends through their parents bringing them over to our small apartment while I was watching Fetch With Ruff Ruffman. It turned out that we all liked that show quite a bit- and thus our friendship was born. Honestly, being a seminary kid taught me that material things didn't hold a lot of value and friendships were honestly what you should hold on to. I also experienced a vast amount of freedom as a child in Missouri. It was like living on a college campus- but for families. Therefore, there was a baller playground that I was allowed to go to whenever I wanted (with permission). There was also a field day that was held for all of us during the summer and at the very end, a firetruck would come and make it rain over all of us. Seminary was a much more simple time that reminds me of bliss.

Third Stop: Cisco, Texas

I know you're probably thinking: where in the WORLD is that? Well, Cisco is a unique place. Imagine the whole "Friday Night Lights" vibes mixed with a two stoplight town. Basically, you are only important in that town if you can play sports. I've touched on this in previous articles before, but I am the least athletic person that I know. So, naturally, I wasn't all that important to the school and not all that popular either. I think Cisco is where my self-esteem truly plummeted. But, on the absolute plus side, I had some amazing friends. I think that without them, I would have been truly miserable. I also got to discover the local coffee shop, Waverly's, that honestly brought a sense of home to the town that didn't exist before. I was there through 5th-9th grade. It was not hard leaving the town itself, but it was extremely hard leaving the people there AND our overly-filtered selfies. (Sorry Baleigh, Shaylynn, Lyndsey, & Cheyenne!)

Fourth Stop: Mabank, Texas

We moved to Mabank the summer after my Freshman year of high school. Mabank is where I ended up graduating High School, and also where I made a few solid friends. Okay, I lied. I had a lot of friends. We were all the misfits and somehow just all found one another. I got to not feel ashamed for not being athletic when in Mabank and got really involved in the marching band. My self-esteem also picked up because I found myself in a happy relationship with the gym.

Final Stop: College Station, Texas

So, I chose to go to college at Texas A&M University. I am extremely happy here and I love being surrounded by the people that I love. This city feels like home and my community is full of people who support me. I could not be more grateful to have ended up in College Station. I am so blessed to have a job that I love and a church family that I love. A&M has given me so many opportunities to meet people and travel to amazing places.

So, where am I from?