When You're Crushing On The Boy Who's Bad News

As told by your typical college girl.

229

We all come across them, those guys you are drawn to as if you’re a moth flitting around a bright porch light. But you will get burned if you fly just close enough to the illumination, just as wanting to know this person will, in the end, hurt you.

You go against your gut, your brain, and the inner voice inside your head that is flashing "CAUTION"!!! Over and over and over again. It doesn’t matter.

You let this person into your life and you learn things about them, things you would’ve maybe expected to hear, but most are shocking and tragic. You decide that you want to help this person because you see the best in everyone.

You can fix him.

But you can’t, and you won’t.

He won’t let you.

You immediately let him in. He has that thing, a special quality that not everyone has, yet you just can’t seem to pinpoint it.

You get along well. You enjoy his company, and you’re almost positive that he enjoys yours. It’s a different kind of connection that you have and quite unlike anything in the past.

You seem to just really click.

When things are going well for a prolonged period of time, it is only natural to assume that something has to give, that it is way too good to be true. But nothing does.

Day after day, you’re happy. Truly happy. You text each other and have funny conversations. You look forward to hearing about his day and his family, even about that super cute dog he has.

You think this is something so real that, finally, you may have met someone different than the rest (in a good way). You've met someone who is a little beyond their years, who has dreams and aspirations. It’s refreshing to feel as though you have stumbled upon a real man.

He’s not really, though.

It’s all an act, and he’s actually just like the rest. Immature, selfish, and careless.

You’re disappointed, but not really that surprised. It was almost as if you had been subconsciously waiting for him to self-destruct. This entire time your mind was half in preparation for the inevitable ending.

You wonder why the life path of each guy is not always identical, yet all end in the same way -- as nothing. Again and again, men show that they are unable to commit. They are not able to see long-term.

You should never find yourself trying to choose someone who doesn’t choose you. They need to prioritize you and make you feel wanted.

You shouldn’t be chasing after them or wondering why you appear to be of no importance. There needs to be some effort being put in by each party -- not just you.

Don’t let the bad boys fool you. Be smart and trust your gut.

You deserve someone who has his life together and will warmly welcome you into it.

Don’t choose him, choose YOU.