When You Give A Girl A Cat (Or Three)

When You Give A Girl A Cat (Or Three)

My cats show me that I am going to be okay no matter where life takes me, or how many bumps in the road I come across, because I have them, and they have me, and together we have each other.

100
When You Give A Girl A Cat (Or Three)
original

Everyone has their “thing”. Their thing that makes them smile on a bad day. Their thing that is always there when you come home to shut your eyes and collapse in your bed, and is still there when you wake struggle to fight the urge of hitting snooze just one more time. Their thing that never gets boring, their thing that never, ever lets them down. Their thing that purrs and meows and oh wait… that’s my thing! My mental health is something I still battle on a daily basis, and the thing that helps me in doing so is my three furry little friends, my cats. I want to share with you today, the ten most therapeutic things that my cats provide me with to help make my bad days a little easier to bear, and my good days even more enjoyable.

1. When they run towards the door and wait there for me as soon as they hear the car pull in the driveway.

There is nothing better than coming home after a long day of work or class or endless tiring events, to three cats waiting by there for me, their bigs eyes looking up and waiting to be pet. They make me feel wanted, they make me have something to look forward to at the end of the day

2. When they knead me.

Whether I am sleeping, reading, doing homework or watching netflix, when one of my cats jumps starts to knead my legs or my stomach with their furry little paws, I can not do anything but smile, and feel happy to have such amazing creatures who love me just as much as I love them. They always know exactly what I need to turn my tears into happiness.

3. Their constant meowing to get my attention

I will admit, constant whining and nagging from friends and family can be quite annoying sometimes, however, when it is one of my cats doing the nagging, I feel on top of the world. They want my attention, and they want me to acknowledge them. They make me feel wanted, and that is one of the best feelings.

4. The way they tilt their head when I tell them how cute they are.

The amount of times I tell my cats how cute they are, or how much I love them on a daily basis is outrageous. Everything they do is just so adorable and I feel so lucky to have them, and they certainly deserve to know that. It is like when you talk to a baby and they smile at the sound of your voice, it is breathtaking, and heart warming. When I talk to my cats and they tilt their heads, and slowly blink their eyes, it is like they are smiling at me, they are blowing me a kiss and reciprocating their love. It is a magical feeling.

5. When they hop up on my lap and fall fast asleep.

No matter what I am doing, or how busy I am, my cats still find a way to tag along with me on the journey. When they hop on my lap, and turn around in circles until the find a comfy spot, it makes me stop whatever it is that I am doing and appreciate life and how much better mine is with them as my best friends

6. The falling and rising of their soft little tummies when they are sleeping under my chin, laying on my chest.

I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced this as a cat owner, but you know your cats mean the world to you when you wake up urgently having to pee, but your cat is just so content sleeping on you and you cannot risk disturbing them in this moment, so you just distract yourself with their cuteness to forget about your need to go. Having something that distracts me from life’s inconveniences and it’s terrible nature at times, makes my heart happy, it makes me content.

7. When they head butt me because I am not paying attention to them, or staying still for too long.

My cat's keep me on my toes. They remind me nothing is worth stressing over, or spending too much time on. They make me realize life is full of so much more than the distraction I let take over my brain. They remind me how much more important they are than anything else.

8. When they put their paw over my hand while I do my homework

I dread all of the work that I have to do in order to succeed in school, especially since I am a perfectionist, which makes life even harder. When my cats swat my pencil out of my hand, or lay their paw over my hand while I type, they give me even more of a reason to put the work down and just stop for a moment. Their cute little face and perfect furry paws give me the most perfect excuses to get my head out of the books and just enjoy their company.

9. When they lay in front of the door to my room when it is open.

My cats protect me, and that sense of protection makes me feel comfortable, safe and greatful. They are like my personal bodyguards. They wait outside my room making sure that no one passes that is not allowed to enter. They do their best not to let anyone hurt me and if someone does, they comfort me, and if the ones who hurt me are fortunate enough to be close by, they make sure they know they messed up.

10. When they show me that I am going to be ok, because I have them, and we have each other.

I would not be who I am today without my cats. I would not be able to keep on going and fighting against the world if I did not have them to rely on, to be right by my side through the good days along with the bad. My cats show me how important it is to live life with a smile on my face, while wiping away all of my tears with their soft, fuzzy mittens. My cats show me that I am going to be okay no matter where life takes me, or how many bumps in the road I come across, because I have them, and they have me, and together we have each other.

Clark, Chloe and Scout, thank you for letting me dress you up as the Easter Bunny, Santa Paws, Bob Marley and even a unicorn. Thank you for keeping me warm at night, and keeping my heart full of happiness. Thank you for loving me endlessly.