When "enough" really becomes enough

When "enough" really becomes enough

Don't lose yourself trying to find others.

77
When "enough" really becomes enough

As hard as it is to speak up to others about the realizations you have, it's sometimes even harder confessing them to yourself. We don't want to believe that someone could treat us poorly or toss us aside. The harsh reality is that this can happen to anyone and it frequently does. As we walk through life we seek attention and praise from people who claim to "love us". These people tend to alter our mindset on what love really is if we don't feel we are receiving their best. I always tie love and happiness together for I believe with one comes another. I have begun to find that my happiness comes from what I believe about myself. This has not always been the case. In fact, it has been an incredibly recent discovery following some very painful, but needed, times. Love starts with one simple thing – acceptance. I have found that we tend to seek acceptance from individuals rather than seeking it from our Heavenly Father. The most common version of this is when we seek our acceptance from BOTH individuals and Him. In Matthew, Jesus talks to us about the dangers of placing our importance in others besides God. "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. Matthew 6:24

I think it's very easy to find ourselves in this daily trap. There will always be a longing to find approval from others. Those who once gave you attention can begin to seek how it benefits them. And only them. No matter what you say or do nothing seems to measure up. I have found that this can easily turn into a game that controls your emotions, thus affecting your everyday life. We can choose to complain and blame ourselves, or move forward in a spirit of knowledge from what we have learned. Yes, this is much easier said than done. One realization I had, during a devotion time this week, was where I found myself directing my attention. Where I was directing my attention was affecting how accepted I felt and was ultimately leading me to a mindset of destruction and loneliness. For months, I had been convincing myself that I was placing importance on God's purpose for me, but really, I was running from it. I read that when we seek acceptance from God, and only God, he delivers us from our pain rather than observing from afar. He gets in the middle of our lives to offer healing rather than running from or ignoring our discontentment. It is very simple to say that He is the way, the truth, and the light but how often are we living by this principle. I have found myself guilty many times ignoring this principle and believing that I can create my life according to my own will, without his guidance. Rather than seeking heavenly advice, we fall into the trap of thinking earthly advice is all that is relevant.

Things i have learned
  • You cannot change the past emotions you once felt, but you can rest in knowing He has your future.
  • Living in reality is not always easy
  • You were designed for a purpose

It is important to remember that you are important.

As redundant as that phrase seems, it's something worth repeating. If you tell yourself that you are important you won't go seeking to hear it from someone else. Yes, it's uplifting and encouraging to have people tell you thoughts of affirmation, but this does not need to be what we rely on for happiness. An individual that truly loves you won't make you seek affirmation and acceptance. They will constantly offer their affirmation and remind you of the ways in which Christ has displayed it as well. Friends who love and support you will always show you grace. You will no longer be fearful of receiving a spirit of bitterness or unfaithfulness from someone you call friend.

My advice is to stop searching for something you haven't convinced yourself is real. Pause and listen to the desires God has for you. Stop trying to figure every small detail of your life out on your own. Don't hide your discontentment in keeping yourself overly busy and distracted. There will always be mountains and seasons of doubt. The people you place false hope in cannot move your mountains, but He can. Seasons of joy and contentment will arise out of a once weary heart when we focus our eyes on what is to come. It has been "enough" for some time, but it only will be until you believe it yourself.

**You are loved and were bought at a price.