What I Won't Do In 2018

What I Won't Do In 2018

You have to learn from the bad to appreciate the good.
397

As the new year begins, we tend to make our annual resolutions and work towards making plans to have a better year than the last. For example, we start a new diet or a new workout routine. Or, maybe, we decide to be kinder to others, to be more generous, or to compliment others more.

The thought of New Year’s resolutions has made me contemplate what changes I’d like to implement in my life. Since the new year is about growing as a person and developing new habits, it’s just as important to acknowledge and separate the bad from the good in our lives. Every year we have new experiences, gain wisdom, and, of course, make mistakes to learn from.

So, in light of this realization, starting this year I’ve decided to make a list of a few things I don’t want to do and who I don’t want to be.

I don’t want to take my health for granted.

After seeing how getting sick during school affects my energy and concentration, I know that I should be more cautious and selfish when taking care of myself. I should recognize that 4 hours of sleep several days in a row isn’t good for me in the long run. Additionally, opting for a candy bar for dinner isn’t going to satisfy my hunger or solve my chemistry homework problems. So, I need to pay more attention to the meals I make for myself and learn to schedule my day around getting at least 6-8 hours of sleep a night.

I don’t want to spread myself too thin.

As a college student, you are always consumed by school and other extracurricular activities. Sometimes, finding time to do things you want is hard when you feel obliged to do things you have to do. This past year, there were points where I found myself over committing myself to too many things at a time, usually resulting in me losing something in the end. I need to prioritize what I need to do in order to have time for the things I want to do, because both are equally important.

I don’t want to be too nice.

Now, I know this may seem a little strange; isn’t being nice a good thing? My parents raised me to be kind and to treat others the way I’d like to be treated. Well, I’ve noticed that sometimes being too nice is just a representation of my naivety. I’ve ended up hurt or misdirected by being too trusting. It’s okay to be a little guarded at first. I can want to be open but also be a little selfish by watching out for my emotions and future.

While I’ve made a note to make these changes, I understand that I’m not perfect and that I will mess up sometimes. But, I think it's a good start. After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained!