What Are The New York Giants Doing?
Politics

What Are The New York Giants Doing?

This offseason, Dave Gettleman has established himself as either the smartest man in the NFL or the stupidest man in the NFL. There is no middle ground.

283

There are no more chances for New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman after the 2019 NFL Draft. To say that he shocked the football world is an understatement in every sense of the word. By drafting Duke QB Daniel Jones instead of Ohio State QB and Heisman finalist (and New Jersey native) Dwayne Haskins as the heir apparent to Eli Manning, he put his GM'ing career on the line. The two quarterbacks will already be compared for their entire careers, as with every class of rookie quarterbacks in the history of the draft. However, Haskins now has serious reason to dislike the team he grew up cheering and was intending on playing for, as they selected Jones at sixth overall and Haskins fell all the way to fifteenth to be selected by the Washington Redskins, one of the Giants' rivals in the NFC East. There were also reports that surfaced that Giants head coach Pat Shurmur wanted the organization to draft Haskins, not Jones, to be the future of the franchise, but Gettleman selected Jones anyway. Daniel Jones had been coached by David Cutcliffe at Duke, who coached both Peyton (Tennessee) and Eli (Ole Miss) Manning in college. Gettleman acknowledged the coaching ability of Cutcliffe that turned Eli Manning into the franchise cornerstone that he was for so many years with hope that Jones would become the same player that Eli was. Gettleman was also convinced that many teams were after Jones and that he had to snag him at the sixth overall pick because he would not fall to their next pick at seventeen. This situation in which the general manager is not even listening to the head coach's opinions on something as important as a franchise QB only works out in the movie Draft Day, starring Kevin Costner and Denis Leary. Distrust has been created between two of the most important figures within the franchise, and the future looks somewhat grim for the Giants.

The Giants draft woes do not stop here, however. They selected Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence with the seventeenth overall pick. Don't get me wrong, Lawrence was a great value pick, but there was a much more glaring need at other positions. The Giants traded away stars WR Odell Beckham Jr. and OLB Olivier Vernon to the Cleveland Browns and let S Landon Collins walk away to Washington in free agency, and are now left with only sophomore RB Saquon Barkley as the future of the franchise with Daniel Jones as the hopeful successor to Eli Manning. As the entire state of New York calls for the head of Dave Gettleman after a seemingly horrendous offseason, it's safe to say that this year could easily decide the future of not only Gettleman, but the Giants as a whole, for years to come.