What We Could've Been

What We Could've Been

Inspired by Could've Been by H.E.R. ft. Bryson Tiller

5
What We Could've Been

It was all good for a while with you. No problems, just enjoying each other's company. Learning the ins and outs of each other, learning how to get comfortable sleeping next to each other in a twin size bed. Sharing our personal experiences, talking about our visions for the future. It was heavenly living in the stage of no problems, just mingled breaths and goofy smiles.

Life gets in the way sometimes, and for no other reason than for the path of fate. Maybe it wasn't the right time, maybe we weren't the right people, maybe we didn't have the right minds, or maybe all of it at once. No one ever can suspect it could all go away in such a short amount of time, or maybe no one ever really cares. Infatuation is one hell of an emotion. It consumes you, and it's where we coin the term "love is blind." Maybe we just simply don't care that we could get hurt, just for the very fact that in the moment it feels *so* good,

I never wanted to lose the feelings I felt with you, and to be honest I don't think I have yet. This wasn't the ideal decision, but it was the right one. And I ponder the possibilities of what we could've been, and that is what hurts the most.

We could've been strong together. We both had ourselves to work on, and we were in the position to work on them together. We could've had more nights full of laughter and smiles. We could've had nights of passion and syncing breaths. We could've been invincible together, if we just had pushed through. But I am working on understanding that, that wouldn't have been what we wanted.

We could've learned the scars on each other's bodies and the stories behind each and every one. We could've talked until the sun rose, and groaned as we got up for the day, but smiled internally because the night had been spent together. We could've been two people in a crowded room, but once our eyes connected, it was only us. And now, we will be the two people who connect eyes and ignore the pang in our chests as we continue to our destination, without each other.