What to know when traveling to Barcelona

This is a blog post shares pictures and highlights some experiences that I found culturally different when traveling for a week in Barcelona, Spain.

30
Ally Burnham photography

9 of the biggest cultural differences from the United States that I noticed:

smoking is common

Most everyone smokes, it is very common in this country. However they don't litter and throw their cigarettes butts on the floor. The City for the most part was super clean; Unlike the big cities in the US.

true city of love

Barcelona is a city of love. So many couples walking together, people holding hands, and kissing in public.

friendly people

Very pet and kid friendly. The people were really nice and were very willing to help you out. The Spanish focus on people and family versus the United States. We seem to be more focused on our career and money. As well there weren't stray animals all around and many people seemed to have dogs and they all wore cute little winter sweaters.

don't tip

You don't need to tip. It's not expected, because the people are making a living wage. As well in restaurants they aren't trying to turn tables so, they don't bother you to leave. If you would like to order or your receipt you have to ask. It is common that people gather and chat in restaurants for 2-3 hours minimum.

less homeless

I really didn't notice many hobos and we went into all types of town. At least in comparison I would say that their homeless to are also less ballsy and more conservative then ours. ( if you would like a few wild experience from hobos in Sac or SF I have some)

best food 

Food and wine is sooo much better and for the most part cheaper. The bead is fresh and to die for, the gelato is more creamy, and the cured ham is a delicacy. About everything I ate was better and fresher. I liked the fact that little of the food had preservatives in it, it is common that people their go out for more of their meals, and grocery shop daily. This is one of the reasons why I think that more people are thin in this country despite some of the high calorie foods they eat. It also isn't a big deal to be of a particular age to drink, it's more normalized and the alcohol isn't as strong. However, I would say that bottled water and fresh fruit was pretty expensive to buy. A tip to save money would be to carry your own water because it's not free at restaurants and to not eat in the super touristy areas.

lots of petty theft 

Beware of pick pocketing. Thankfully we didn't have any problems with this yet although it is a common problem in Barcelona and just in Europe in general. Some tips to avoid this would be to have your valuables all in a front pocket that's closest to your body, and to travel with your hands in your pocket or your arm over that side. As well wear your backpacks and bags to the front.

you don't need a car

For transportation you could get around any way which was nice. People had cars but you also can bike, bus, train, electronic scooter, fly, walk or take the underground. I liked this a lot and it is nice that the public transport was so easily accessible and is widely used!!!! Kinda nice for the environment that not everyone needs a car, also maybe another reason there are less over weight people. It is a walking and subway city.

laid back way of life

The living situation is a bit more cramped and simplified. We were in the city so things typically are this way but it appeared that everyone seemed to live a little less lavishly then in the United States. People didn't seem as concerned with being flashy with expensive houses, cars, and designer clothes, however not that these things weren't present just not the everyday people had them.

A few pictures that give a glimpse of my trip 

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography

Ally Burnham photography