What To Expect When You're Expecting A Puppy, Pt. 2

Raising a puppy is a bigger challenge than I ever expected.

29

After spending nearly three years trying to find the perfect Pomeranian puppy, my search came to a miraculous close. On November 3, 2018, I spent nearly two and a half hours in the car on the way to a Starbucks in Indiana so that I could pick up my brand new pup. I was overwhelmed with joy and excitement at the thought of having a brand new addition to my life filled with loving energy - that was, until my new addition threw up on me the very first time we met.

Remy's car ride home.Gina Brennan

Apparently, my thirteen-week old puppy, Remy, has a bit of an issue with car sickness. I assure you that I was uninformed of this issue before my grand purchase, but it surely does not make me love him any less. Rather, I felt an utter sense of responsibility for this 3.2-pound animal, as his nerves were truly visible after leaving his parents, his siblings and the rest of his family. It was at that point that I knew I would be in for a long ride, but I was ready for the challenges to come.

At least I thought I was ready. In actuality, I had absolutely no idea that taking care of such a young puppy is seemingly relatable to the act of actual parenting. Ensuring that they eat enough food, drink enough water, and cleaning up their constant messes was more difficult than I expected. That may be because Remy is the type of puppy to sleep soundly through most of the night, but wakes up like clockwork at 5 a.m. because he decides that it is time to play outside and chew on all of his favorite toys. When I use the term "toys," this includes, but is not limited to: toys that squeak, shoes, socks, jackets, handbags, jewelry and my personal favorite, my fingers. As an owner, I am doing my best to break him of this habit.

I can only hope that Remy will grow out of his rambunctious puppy phase, though I can honestly say I love him more than I ever thought possible. He is the center of attention and the star of the show. His constant love and warmth is a treasure to come home to every day, and I am looking forward to our years of memories to come.

Gina Brennan