What Can I Do With Old Clothes

Spring cleaning brings May flowers... isn't that the phrase?

Spring is known as a time to refresh as the cold midwest starts to come alive again. That's why it's the best time of year to clean out your closet.

Before summer starts, I always like to go through all my clothes and get rid of anything I haven't worn at least a few times in the past year. Cleaning is great because it gets rid of clutter. But my favorite part about cleaning is that emptying my closet also means I can reward myself with a shopping trip that will update my outfit selection.

However, I always have to ask myself one crucial question: what do I do with all the clothes I'm getting rid of? Luckily for us, there are plenty of options.

Sell

Selling your clothes to second-hand clothing stores and thrift shops might be the best option for you if you're getting rid of newer clothes that are in good condition. Selling your clothes allows you to get money back for everything you're getting rid of, making it more worth your while.

My personal choice when selling clothes is to go to Plato's Closet. There are also some great online thrift stores that will buy your used clothes such as ThredUP and Poshmark, so there are plenty of options if you're looking to get some money back for your cute pants that just don't fit anymore.

Donate

Donating your clothes won't earn you any money, but it will make a huge difference in the lives of others. There are plenty of people in the world who struggle to afford clothes, so you could be helping them out by donating your clothes to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army. This might be the best option for you if your clothes are too old to sell but are still in good condition.

Recycle

If you're looking at your old t-shirts and realizing that they aren't really worth anything anymore, think again. While some of your clothes may be too old to sell or donate, you can always recycle them.

You can recycle your own clothes by being crafty and repurposing them, such as turning old t-shirts into bags. You can also recycle clothes by sending them to an organization, such as Planet Aid, that specializes in sustainably recycling old clothes and turning them into new products.

No matter what you plan to do with your old clothes as you start to clean out your closet this spring, just remember that you should never merely throw them in the trash.