Everything You Need To Know About New York Fashion Week

You'll be asking yourself WTF after the drama and deets about this year's New York Fashion Week.

88
Fashion sketch NYFW

So as all of the fashion industry and celebrities know, New York Fashion Week is one of the biggest weeks in fashion filled with stunning looks and trend-setting events. This year has been no different, except for the fact that it's also been one of the most drama-filled weeks of the year.

For starters, if you haven't heard, Nicki Minaj and Cardi B are in a female rapper feud. Arguably two of the most notorious female rappers of the time, these two seemed to already be pitted against each other from the beginning. Both ladies from low places who rose to the top because of their fiery personalities and striking rap lyrics, they seemed to be one-in-the-same, and similarities attract right? Not quite.

From the early star, fans of both rappers seemed to be warring and choosing sides about which artist was better. At first, that didn't seem to affect the two performers, however, new songs released by both women which may (or may not) have been "diss tracks" seem to be redefining the relationship.

After much tension, things reached a climax during NYFW at a Harper's Bazaar Icons party. The stories of exactly what happened are a little skewed, but essentially, words were said, and shoes were thrown. Yes, shoes were thrown.

Reports were made that Nicki Minaj had made comments about Cardi B's newborn, Kulture, Cardi's parenting skills. And that's when Cardi B attacked: she came up to Minaj where bodyguards quickly came to her protection, but that didn't stop Cardi B – she threw in Minaj's direction, missing, but definitely sending a message that a full-on war had begun.

As if this wasn't enough drama, later in the week, Kanye West got a reporter kicked out of the Ralph Lauren show for asking about an apparent standing social media beef with his wife and mother of three, Kim Kardashian-West and model, Tyson Beckford. This issue ultimately stemmed from a body-shaming comment made from Beckford about Kim Kardashian, which somehow turned into Kardashian making a homophobic reply. Read more with the link above.

Although it's quite fun watching all sorts of drama unfold, I digress. This week is about fashion, not some silly, petty high school drama.

As for highlights of NYFW week so far, there are a ton of amazing firsts and traditions.

As per traditions go, Ralph Lauren and Longchamp celebrated their 50th and 70th anniversaries respectively, with special collections that were absolutely stunning.

Longchamp and its creative director, Sophie Delafontaine, celebrated the big 7-0 with 70's-inspired fringe, shin-high sandals, and earth-tone clothing. Special guests Kate Moss and Kendall Jenner also made appearances with model Kaia Gerber walking the runway.

Ralph Lauren also knows how to celebrate in style with the "go big or go home" motto in mind. Lauren rented out Central Park's Bethesda Terrace to showcase his timeless Americana-themed collection. However, to make this collection even more special, Lauren pieced together all of his best collections: women's, men's Double RL, men's, and even women's and children's Polo Ralph Lauren. Famous faces like Kaia Gerber and Gigi Hadid walked the runway among a diverse group ranging from young to old, and white to black.

Once again, my favorite show of the week I think has to be The Blond's collection. As per last year, they didn't disappoint with a bad-ass, glitzy debut, taking fashion shows and turning them into fashion performances.

This year, they channeled their villainous side and teamed up with Disney to create a positive take on our favorite antagonists. David Blond made a statement explaining his choice of characters, "the villains are meant to be secondary characters, but they have always stood out to us because they have the best style, the most personality."

The vicious villain looks consisted of Ursula and her two evildoer eels from "The Little Mermaid," Flotsam and Jetsam, "Snow White's" Evil Queen, "101 Dalmatians," Cruella De Vil, including a Paris Hilton version on the villain, and the Red Queen in "Alice in Wonderland." The collection even included more underrated villains like "The Princess and the Frog's" Shadow Man and "Sleeping Beauty's" Maleficent, with Desmond is Amazing (a 10-year-old "drag kid") version of this look as well.

I can't wait for London Fashion Week after all that has unfolded. To get the full London Fashion Week schedule, visit Fashion Week Online. This site gives you showtimes, insights, and lists the shows you can live stream!