What The Gospels Don't Teach You About Jesus

Maybe it will help you fall more in love with Him.
471

I think that sometimes we forget Jesus was a normal guy. Yes, I know, fully God and fully man, but like OK. He’s still God, so he can’t be that normal.

I think maybe it is because the Gospels bounce from miracle to miracle and that we just imagine that every day He did something extremely noteworthy. In reality, though, His ministry lasted for three years so there’s no way that the gospels cover all that much.

Do you ever think about the ordinary days that Jesus had that the gospel doesn't really mention?

I think it’s beautiful to think about all the times He laughed 'til He cried with His friends. I bet Jesus’ laugh is incredible. I like to think that Jesus laughs at me rather often, but that’s beside the point. And the fact that they probably had inside jokes like we do. Can you imagine what it would be like to have an inside joke with the person who gives you your very breath to laugh in the first place?

Think about Jesus doing laundry. Picture Jesus running around cooking and cleaning and making his bed in the morning, brushing his teeth. He probably overslept every once in a while, too, imagine the God of the universe waking up late and scrambling. I bet He was a graceful scrambler. He had a morning routine; He had to get His hair cut. He probably had sore dirty feet from walking about town. Maybe he snored in his sleep. Imagine being a disciple and listening to the one who gave the gift of sleep snore in His very own sleep.

Picture the normal suppers, not the last supper. He probably had a favorite food and would get excited to eat it. Imagine Jesus asking you to pass the rolls and bumping the hands that would be nailed to the cross. Imagine the dinner time conversations you could have with the Man who gave you life in the first place.

Maybe a few nights Jesus couldn’t sleep and He looked out His window out onto the world. Imagine the God of the whole universe looking out of His unknowing human eyes at His creation, gazing at it from the place we see it. Imagine that. Imagine the questions you would ask Him; what was it like to shape the planets, why did He make stars twinkle?

And then maybe one evening the disciples were out hanging out with Jesus and the sun starts to set and the colors fill the sky and maybe Jesus stops too. I wonder what sunsets are like in heaven. Imagine what Jesus loved. Imagine His fascinations. Imagine watching a sun set over the horizon with the Man who created day and night.

And then imagine the next day He raises a man from the dead, or maybe He decides to walk on water.

Did you ever think that maybe it’s not the miracles that are so miraculous, but rather the fact that He lived? He lived as a man. He lived as a human like one of us and He didn’t have to.

Maybe it isn’t the miracles that are so unthinkable.