What Does It Take to Have a Healthy Relationship?

It's not as tricky as you think.

154

Have you ever wondered what it really took to make your relationship work? Have you just wished to have some form of guide or map to help make your relationship work? Feared that your relationship is doomed to fail? Well my dear readers don't fear there is a a solution. The possible solution and tips to salvaging your relationship are all more simple than you think. Say goodbye to those complicated couple books and columns. Your relationship is not in danger just yet. The answers you seek are right here.

1. Be Honest.

Most people already have some form of trust issues, so your significant other should feel like they can trust you. This is directed to both men and women. There is nothing wrong with being honest with the person you care for.

2. Use Patience.

Things aren’t always going to be as easygoing as when the relationship first started. Be patient, and give it time!

3. Respect one another's space.

There will be times where you won’t want to be with one another. Just accept it! There is no changing this. Each person deserves to have their alone time. Trust me, nobody wants an overbearing spouse. Having space most times leads to the longing of the together time, so give them space. As long as each person has their space, things should flow pretty easily.

4. Communication.

Communication is the utmost key thing. Let me repeat, communication is key! I don't know how many times it has to be said, but you have to talk and listen to each other. We all have seen that most good, healthy relationships end due to bad communication. Understand that in order for the relationship to remain healthy and long lasting, you have to communicate. There is no other way for a relationship to last if there is no communication. It’s just the way the world works. If you have problems with communicating willingly, you should probably consider doing something else until you’re ready to date.

5. Gradual mending and blending of friends/family.

Men and women, remember that you can’t force your spouse on your friends and family and vice versa. These things take time. You must give each side a chance to willingly accept and respect that person. Be warned that it's possible that everyone is not going to accept or even like your spouse. It is your job to ensure that you develop a level of respect for each member. Overall, you must be ready for the gradual blending of the friends and family.

6. Accept that you will not always agree.

All couples fight. No matter what type of relationship you have, you are going to have disagreements. It’s okay. You are two separate individuals with different opinions. Clashes are bound to happen. Don’t fear having these disagreements between each other; they are healthy for the relationship. You must be able to understand that you won’t agree on everything. The key to these fights is to not let those deter you from the main goal, which is to be with the person you love and care for. As long as you maintain the level of respect and love you have for one another, things should go smoothly.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F06%2F28%2F635711256359476797-2027827235_Holly.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=183&h=320b09e81f9976456a0dac26f434f825ba1dbc41b25d73f344262589ff053d4c&size=980x&c=3166112272 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2015%252F06%252F28%252F635711256359476797-2027827235_Holly.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D183%26h%3D320b09e81f9976456a0dac26f434f825ba1dbc41b25d73f344262589ff053d4c%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3166112272%22%7D" expand=1]

7. Remain faithful.

Maintaining your fidelity in a relationship is another one of the key components to a healthy relationship. This tip ties into being honest. If you're honest, infidelity should never happen. Even if you aren't happy in your relationship, infidelity should never be the answer. What's most important is that if you care for this person in any way, remain faithful, even if temptation is knocking at your door. If you feel that you may even be having thoughts of infidelity, be honest with your spouse. Cheating is never the answer!

8. Have fun with each other!

The only way you won’t grow bored of each other is by keeping things new and fresh. There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your spouse on their toes. You have to keep things fun between you and your spouse. There is nothing wrong with going out and having a good, fun time with the person you love and care for. If you don’t want boredom or to find yourself falling into routine, find something you both like to do and do it together. Keep things new by discovering new things such as food, hobbies, or movies. If you make it fun, you make it last.

Next time you see your grandparents or an older couple you know, ask them how they have lasted for a long time. I bet they’ll say the same thing.