8 Factors You Should Consider Before Posting On Social Media

8. What would I think if someone else posted something like this?

71
Unsplash

Social media is a powerful outlet used by 69% of Americans, according to Pew Research Center. This being said, we should really think about what we share with the rest of the world. Most people want to be portrayed positively on social media. But before you post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. try to consider these things:

1. How could this affect current or future employment?

Something you post on social media could cause you to lose a job or limit future employment opportunities.

2. How likely is this message to be misunderstood?

Try to consider the different perspectives before tweeting something out. Could your followers interpret you the wrong way?

3. Why do I want to post this?

The answer to this question says a lot about your frame of mind when you are on social media. Avoid posting on social media if you are only focused on gaining approval from others.

4. Does this put my privacy at risk?

This is important if you keep your profiles set to public. Make sure you keep private information to yourself. Everyone does not need to know EVERYTHING.

5. How does this represent me?

Does this accurately represent me? Do I want to be represented this way?

6. How controversial is this?

Will this post cause a lot of argument and if so, is it worth the controversy? Sometimes it's best if you have nothing nice to say, to say nothing at all.

7. Am I a role model to any of my followers?

Who is your audience? Think about how your image on social media could influence followers who look up to you.

Try to not be hypocritical. If you would not respond well to a similar post by someone else, then don't expect a different reaction from others.

Next time you are about to post on a social media platform, ask yourself these 8 questions. It will help you keep a clean and positive image of yourself on social media, and hopefully influence others to do the same.