What Not To Say To Someone With Tattoos

I Have Tattoos And Last Time I Checked, They’re On MY Skin, Not Yours

Here's a shocker, my tattoos have ZERO effect on how I perform daily tasks.

7321
Personal Photo

Hey, it's me again, here to explain things that shouldn't have to be explained because to most people it's common sense. But here we are, talking about something that should've stopped being a big issue about a century ago, all because some people don't understand simple concepts.

Here's a shocker, my tattoos have ZERO effect on how I perform tasks (i.e. working, communicating, living my life).

Believe it or not, the ring in my nose doesn't affect literally anything in your life, either. I know it sounds like a crazy concept.

My tattoos don't need to have meaning, and if they do, I am under no obligation to explain that meaning to you.

It doesn't matter if my tattoo had the greatest meaning in the world or no meaning at all, I don't have to explain myself to you if I don't want to. And if I wanted a random triangle tattoo so I got one, that's my decision and I don't need to hear your opinion about it. Tattoos don't need to have a grand extremely huge heartfelt reason behind them, it's my body, and if I choose to get something purely because I liked how it looked then good for me. And if it does have a really great meaning behind it, also good for me. It's honestly none of your concern.

The fact that I have ink on my skin does not automatically tell you what kind of person I am.

Besides a super awesome, totally bad-ass person, maybe. Other than that, simply having a tattoo doesn't pinpoint any part of my personality or my temperament. The pictures on my skin are different from the pictures on somebody else's skin and that's totally fine because we're probably totally different people.

I am totally fine with you choosing not to get tattoos, it has no effect on my life whatsoever.

Similarly to the fact that me choosing to get tattoos has zero effect on your life, so you probably shouldn't care about it either. You're wasting nobody's time but your own worrying about the ink on my skin.

Yup, I thought about how having tattoos would affect me getting a job, and I still got them. So if I'm not worried about it, you probably shouldn't be worried about it either.

Believe it or not, we're actually living in the twenty-first century and quite a few professions are slowly realizing that. Tattoos aren't nearly as taboo as they once were, and for good reason. As I explained before, tattoos have absolutely no effect on our ability to work and be in a professional setting. Yeah, I have some ink on my arm - that doesn't mean I can't be an engineer, Helen.

You wouldn't say no to a life-saving surgery because your surgeon has a tattoo on their arm, would you? No, you wouldn't because TATTOOS HAVE NO EFFECT ON ABILITY.

Do not tell me that I "was so pretty before I got [my] tattoos done" because I literally look exactly the same as I did before, except now I get to carry around pieces of art with me wherever I go.

So I'm actually cooler now.

Despite the fact that everybody feels entitled to women's bodies, mine (and every other woman's out there) does not exist purely for others to look at. I got my tattoos for me, not anybody else.

If you don't like my tattoos, don't look at them. Your mom always told you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Follow her advice and keep your mouth shut.

And to the creepy middle-aged male commenting rudely on women's posts, we really couldn't care less that our tattoos "aren't attractive to you." You can kindly, f*ck off.

Whoever came up with the notion that tattoos aren't professional, your mom's a hoe.

Sexual harassment isn't professional but that still happens fairly regularly in most workplaces. Maybe you should stop paying so much attention to the ink on my skin and start fixing that issue.

Don't comment about what my tattoos are going to look like in my wedding photos. They're going to look exactly like they look now and I will love them just like I do now.

My tattoos are a part of me now, a part of me that I am extremely fond of. I love them every day and my wedding day will be no different. Plus when I get older and they start to wrinkle, I'll have some really great pictures to remind me of how they used to look.

Also, don't scrunch up your nose and ask me how I'm going to feel when my skin sags and they don't look the same anymore.

Everybody's skin sags when they get old. Everybody's body changes as they age. My wrinkles will just have some color to them instead of being boring.

Or comment on how I'm going to regret one of them when I'm older.

My tattoos might not all have meaning, or the meaning behind them might seem insignificant to other people. But to me, they'll always serve as reminders of different memories in my life. Yes, I am aware that things change and someday, one of my tattoos might not mean the same thing to me anymore. That's ok with me, that tattoo will always remind me of a certain time in my life and I'll be able to look back on it fondly. Obviously, if I got a tattoo to commemorate something, it's important to me so why not save a piece to remember it by.

Or ask about what I'm going to tell my grandkids.

When I have kids, I'll be raising them not to judge or criticize others for what they chose to do with their bodies because their bodies aren't anybody else's but theirs to do what they want with. I would hope my kids would pass that same notion onto my grandchildren. And when my grandkids sit on my lap and ask me what the ink on my arm is for, I'll tell them the story or memory behind each one and they'll learn a little about the life their grandmother lived.

I love my tattoos.

You don't have to, that's your choice, but keep your mouth shut the next time you try to criticize me for my choices when you know nothing about them.