What I Learned In My First Year Of College

Freshman advice.

36
Google Images

Going into college, I already thought of myself as independent, so how was I going to individually grow more while in college? Well, I learned a lot, not only about the world and the people in it, but also about myself. I've learned more about who I am and what I want out of life. Also, I've learned some of the ropes. Here are the most important lessons that I've learned about being a freshman in college.

1. Your experience is what you make it.

If you want to have a wild college experience, go out every night. If you want to be the best in your class, study every day. If you want to pursue an activity, join a club and participate. The more you follow your heart and put yourself out there, the better your college experience will be.

2. Your floor is actually your extended family.

Whether you have to borrow a dress, are looking for someone to go out with or you need to rant, your floor mates are always there. Your floor mates see you at your best and worst, whether you look like a pageant queen or a hobo, if you're happy or bawling your eyes out. You know each other through and through, and care for each other like family.

3. Taking a break in a class is equivalent to signing your grade away.

Never take a break and assume that you'll still do OK in your classes. One minute of relaxing and boom, you're failing 10 classes, even though you're only enrolled in five

4. Caffeine is one of the main food groups.

Carbs, protein, fruits and veggies, fats and caffeine: The main food groups of a college student. It doesn't matter if it's 8 in the morning or 11 at night, you can always use a cup of coffee.

5. Never wear white to a frat house.

All shades of white worn to any frat event will eventually turn to “frat white,” which is just a brownish color that has the possibility to turn white again, but only if dropped into a bucket of pure bleach.

6. There is a difference between true friends and friend that you party with.

True friends will always be there for you, no matter how hard life gets and no matter what happens. People with whom you party may seem like they're always there for you, but once things get hard, they can always find new people to party with. So, pick your friends wisely.

7. You can never have too much school pride.

If you want to wear knee high socks, a giant jersey, a bucket hat, a school flag as a cape and be covered head to toe in paint, then you're suddenly the coolest kid at the tailgate. No one can talk smack to you about supporting your home team with all your heart.

8. Eight a.m. classes should be renamed Hell on Earth.

After waking up for four years at 6:30 a.m. for high school, 8 a.m. classes may seem like a breeze or even a luxury. However, 8 a.m. is like 4 a.m. to a college student. Don't sign up for an 8 a.m., and if you already have, just accept that you'll not make it half the time, and the other half you'll be in your pajamas.

9. Be proud of where you're from.

Whether you loved or hated your home town, it's part of who you are and you need to represent. I'm from Ohio, and every Ohioan that I meet here in Miami is instantly my friend. Where you are from sets you apart from everyone else. Plus, at a large university, having connections from your home town is like having part of your home at school with you.

10. Don’t hate on being a freshman.

You always hear about the typical, annoying stereotype of a freshman. It’s embarrassing to be a freshman. Well people, everyone starts as a freshman and all freshman are going through the exact same thing. Love your classmates and take advantage of all the freshman year experiences. Freshman year only happens once!

11. You don't need alcohol to have fun.

But it sure helps!

12. College brochures do not depict the school whatsoever.

I'm already a quarter of the way done with college, and I still haven't sat in the green, fake smiling with my multicultural friends, as depicted on every brochure.

13. Half of your underwear and socks will go missing.

I’m still not sure if people are stealing my underwear and socks or if the washing machine eats my laundry, but all I know is every time I do laundry, my clothes disappear. So load up on those Hanes and Victoria Secret panties, because they are slowly but surely going to go missing.

14. Things that were weird and childish in high school are now cool.

Well, I was on my way to class one morning and saw a guy in a Snuggie riding a Razor scooter. In high school, I would probably think the guy was a freak or weirdo. Now I'm wondering why I wasn’t smart enough to wear a Snuggie to class and own a Razor scooter. That guy is a genius, and is definitely going places in the future.

15. Mom and Dad don't seem so bad anymore.

They fed you for free. They picked up after you. They did your laundry and took you on trips. They were there when you needed to vent. Now, you live on your own. You have to feed yourself and be responsible for your own being. Even though I love having absolute freedom at college, a call to Mom or Dad always makes the day a little bit brighter.

16. Sundays are national Everyone Looks Like Crap days.

Whether you were living your weekend like a wild party animal or staying up until 4 a.m. studying for that big test, you will look like shit on Sunday. College weekends are a whirlwind and if you survive, you'll need that Sunday to recover.

17. Free food will probably make you cry from happiness.

Anything that means I don't have to eat the dining hall food one more time without breaking the bank sounds like a dream come true.

18. Staying in can be just as fun as going out.

Some of the best memories I have are staying in with the girls and watching "High School Musical," singing along and attempting to do the dances.

19. There is no point in acting like anyone that you aren't.

There are so many different people that you can be exactly who you are and still find someone exactly like you! So, be weird, because I promise you, no matter how weird you think you are, there is most definitely someone way weirder. Find that person and be their friend, because weird people are fun people.

20. You end up doing all those thing you said you'd never do.

In high school and middle school, we always heard stories of crazy college students doing wild deeds and immediately think, “I would never do that!” Just you wait! You will do something so crazy that you'll look back and just wonder if you had a brain in that moment. I'm not going to give any examples, because my mother will probably read this at some point.

21. Naps are everything.

Oh, I have 15 minutes till my next class? Great, I can get a 12-minute nap in, and then run to class.

22. Your love for your school will only grow.

After applying to 20 schools and basically drawing the U out of a hat, I realized that I couldn't have picked a better place to spend the next four years. I love the University of Miami more and more every day!

Even though I came to college to learn academics, I've probably learned more outside of the classroom than in the classroom. I've learned about myself, others and the world around me. I've grown up more in this past year than the first 18 years of my life. I wouldn't ever trade my freshman experience for anything.