What It's Like To Be Part Of A Team

What It's Like To Be Part Of A Team

GO *insert team mascot here*!!!

457
What It's Like To Be Part Of A Team
bsubears.com

Nothing can even begin to explain what it is like to be part of a team.

When we were in kindergarten, we were placed on teams based on our age, not our skill level. We played because our parents wanted to see us excel in team sports. You used this time as an excuse to hang out with your friends. You wanted to impress not only your parents, but also yourself and score as many goals as you could just to brag about it in the car while singing to Radio Disney in your car seat.

During middle school, you learn the little things it takes to be part of a team. Little things like, "going to practice is important to make not only you better but your teammates," or "making your free throws so you don’t make the rest of the team run." You learn that you actually have to listen to your coaches if you want to win games. You begin to learn what leadership is and the role it has to the team. You encourage each other.

But soon, you get to high school and experience what it is like to be a part of a real team. Whether it’s freshman, JV or varsity, it’s a team. You learn how important it is to be the best teammate rather than the best player. You learn how much your commitment and support to your teammates affects how the team plays. You learn how important your role is while cheering on the sidelines during the most important game of the season. You learn that assists are just as important as goals. You learn that a win is a win no matter how bad the game was. These teammates become your best friends. You live for pasta parties and wearing your jerseys through the halls of school on game day. Most importantly, you learn how lucky you are to be able to lead a team through the good and bad days.

Very few of us are lucky enough to be able to continue to be a part of a team. In college, these teammates become more than just friends, they become family. They become roommates, classmates, and supporters. You know that your teammates will always help you through any situation no matter how big or how little. You learn that you can push each other to be the best athlete you can be. You know that criticism directed towards you is just to help you improve your game. And most importantly, you learn that being part of a team makes your college experience more enjoyable because you have not only your teammates but also your best friends beside you throughout the years.