What It's REALLY Like Dating Someone With Depression And Anxiety

You might wonder how it is different, but it is different in many ways.

112
FreePik

You might think it's the same, that everyone is affected by these little worries that pop up from time to time. Yet it is so much more than that. Dating someone with anxiety and depression isn't an easy task.

Here are a few things you might experience when dating someone with these mental illnesses.

1. The sudden urge to want to go back to bed

Do you ever just have a good day and then all of the sudden this wave of emotions hit you like a truck? It doesn't happen very often, yet it does more frequently with someone with these mental illnesses. When you have these inner issues you have a rollercoaster of emotions, you could be on a very good high one moment and then the next want to crawl back into bed, just sleeping the day away.

What can you do to help your significant other with these problems? Just be there for them in the good and bad moments, always being there to support them. The one thing that makes them feel the best is the constant love and support, the feeling of knowing that no matter what they are going through you will be by their side.

2. Sudden mood swings

These sudden mood swings can be related back to my first point of this article. Someone with anxiety and depression goes through this rollercoaster of emotions throughout the day, more than the average person as well. There are the good moments, the moments you feel the happiest and then the next moment you think of something. It is like once you think of that one thing your whole world comes crashing down around you and you have no idea what to do.

3, The triggers they have

For many people with anxiety and depression they could have a multitude of triggers. These could be memories or traumatic experiences from their childhood, seeing the face of someone who did them wrong or even just a certain word. It is good to know the triggers of your partner and knowing when certain things might likely set them off.

Having someone to help you and guide you through those rough triggers is always good. Just having someone to hold your hand or give you a light touch of reassurance can make their anxiety go from the ten it was at, to a sudden 3. It is just those small things that many people don't notice can go a long way with someone with these mental illnesses.

4. Panic attacks

This is the hard part for most people with depression and anxiety, it is the panic attacks. These panic attacks most likely come up when all of the worries and triggers just get to be too much. WIth these panic attacks can come tears, rapid breathing, trouble breathing, dizziness, nausea and so many more different things

Panic attacks are different for everyone, with different triggers, symptoms and ways to overcome these bad moments. Yet no matter what, just talk to them about if they encounter these moments. The whole way to deal with panic attacks is communicating with your partner and being there for them, finding out what works for them.

National Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255