What It Means To Study Abroad

What It Means To Study Abroad

It's more than just fabulous weekend trips around the world.

200
What It Means To Study Abroad
Emily Lima

When you think of studying abroad, I'm sure that all that comes to mind is the fabulous places you will be traveling to. Of course this is something you will do, however, this is not the only aspect of your semester abroad; in fact this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many more amazing things you will experience on your semester abroad. You are going to meet so many new people, you are going to grow up and mature more than ever before, and you're going to be immersed into a new culture that will become your own.

You will meet so many amazing people from not just all over the country, but sometimes from all over the world. The people in your class and your roommates will most likely be people you have never interacted with before. This can be a good way to make new friends, whom you never would have met otherwise. It is a way to expand your horizons and open new doors. You will find yourself missing all of your new friends when it comes time to go home at the end of the semester.

This experience will help you to grow up in a way you never thought was possible. You think that college will be enough to turn you into an adult, but being in a foreign country, away from the security of your family and friends, forces you to grow up and be more responsible for yourself. You now have to cook for yourself and navigate your way around a foreign city that most likely speaks a different language than what you are used to; it will no longer be so easy to ask someone for directions. But I promise you that after a week, you will know the city like the back of your hand and will be able to speak basic phrases to get around.

Studying abroad also means you are going to fall in love with another country's culture. After the culture shock wears off, you will begin adapting yourself in their language, customs and norms as if you have been doing that your entire life. You will never want to eat another country's food because where you are studying is just too damn good. In fact, you are going to find your own home's culture foreign to you once you return after the semester is finished.

You will love your experience when studying abroad; it is an experience unlike any other. There may be some ups and downs, but you will find yourself having the best semester of your life. Love and appreciate everything while it lasts because the months will go by quicker than you will even realize. You will soon see the weeks booking up with trips to new places and it will make the time go by even faster. So definitely savor every single moment of your semester.