What It Means To HEAL

What It Means To HEAL

Full recovery is possible, but we need your help.

8
What It Means To HEAL
Project HEAL

Help to Eat, Accept, and Live, otherwise known as HEAL.

Project HEAL is a nonprofit organization with chapters throughout the United States and Australia, focusing on the treatment and awareness of eating disorders. The organization raises money for a grant that sends motivated applicants to treatment for their eating disorders, which they otherwise could not afford, and promotes healthy body image and positive self-esteem. Project HEAL believes that full recovery from an eating disorder is possible.

So why am I telling you this? Because it’s important and you have the power to HEAL.

You don’t need to have suffered from an eating disorder to sometimes not feel as great as you’d like in that bikini, or to not want to stand next to that girl who must be a model. That feeling is way too common, and Project HEAL is here to say that it shouldn’t be. There is so much that makes you beautiful, special, and important, and you can help others believe that too. Promoting positive body image and healthy self-esteem is not just needed at treatment centers, it’s needed everywhere in our society.

But of course, it’s more than just spreading positivity. Our goal is to help people. Our goal is to spread awareness. Our goal is to save lives. Anyone can suffer from an eating disorder- no matter your age, race, gender, or the way you were raised. And while eating disorders may not have taken away your freedom, your happiness, or your respect for your amazing body, eating disorders affect so many people around you and that’s something you should care about. It could be your best friend, it could be your sister, it could be your classmate, and for many people it is. Unbeknownst to you, someone in your life could be fighting every day, and you could be the one who helps them learn to love and appreciate their incredible body.

Did you know that one day at a residential treatment facility costs about $1,000? One day. The average cost of one month of residential treatment is $30,000, which is about how long most patients stay. Unfortunately, many insurance policies don’t cover this treatment, or stop paying before the patients are at a stable point, forcing them to leave early and often times relapse. This is why Project HEAL raises money to pay for motivated applicants to get the treatment they need to get better. No one should have to suffer from an eating disorder just because they can’t afford the help they need.

After joining the University of Miami’s Chapter of Project HEAL, I have met so many incredible girls, heard so many empowering stories, and have been dedicated to making a difference in the lives of those who need our help. I work with many girls who have never been affected by an eating disorder, but realize that they can still help HEAL. My chapter, although relatively new, has raised thousands of dollars toward the national grant, hosts events to spread positivity and awareness, and collaborates with others to work towards helping everyone have a chance at full recovery.

Believe me now that this is important and you can make a difference, no matter who you are? Help people feel comfortable in their own bodies, help people be happy and healthy, give people the chance at life that they deserve. Find a chapter near you and get involved in making a difference, or help my chapter make a difference by donating to our fundraiser in March. Full recovery is possible, but we need your help.