What It Means To Be An Anti-Procrastinator

It isn't something you choose, it's just something you are.

132

What is someone called when they are the total opposite of a procrastinator? An anticipator- to deal with beforehand? Someone who is proactive? Someone with a good work ethic? A show-off? There are many ideas about what to call people who are the complete opposite of procrastinators, and I am definitely one of them. I have known this for a long time, but it wasn't until one of my college professors asked my class "how many of you procrastinate" and I was the only one who didn't raise my hand, followed by my professor looking at me, saying "you are not a procrastinator" that I began wondering what it really meant to be an anti-procrastinator... someone who does everything in his/her life right away, way before it needs to be done.

When I have something I need to do, whether it be homework, call a doctor, cleaning, etc., the first thing I do is put it on a "To Do" list by a rank of importance/ what needs to be done first. Then when I am done with work/ class for the day, the list begins. I need to get stuff done. I don't feel comfortable enough to relax if I have multiple things on my list that need to be done soon. It's a constant battle between getting everything done that you need to and trying to relax and have a successful life.

Sometimes it gets to a point where you just keep working and working until you have so much work done, that you have nothing else to do. You've done too much and you're ahead in all your classes, family/ friend activities, cleaning... you're literally... done. This is when things can get a little difficult sometimes. Professors think you're an amazing student when you pass in a super long paper a month in advance, but your classmates think you're a showoff or "teacher's pet." There's no winning when you have the urge to get things done.

Sometimes you try to stop. Leave that for later... you don't really need it done today... just relax... have fun. When you try... you fail. It just gets underneath your skin. You look at your list of things to do and realise you have so many things coming up, you just have to do them. You need to get your work done. You aren't someone who procrastinates, you NEED to get things done, so do it! Then you do it. Procrastinating isn't for you.

Being "proactive" or whatever you want to call it means being someone who works hard to get all their work done while at the same time living their life. You work hard and no it isn't done to make your peers look bad, it's done because it's what you need to do. Being an anticipator means being prepared for what life gives you, and trying to accept life's changes, even if they mess up your already-figured-out plan. An anti-procrastinator isn't something you choose to be... it's something you just are.