What Is Fair?

What Is Fair?

The concepts of equality and fairness are complex.

13
What Is Fair?

Equality is "the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities." Fairness is "impartial and just treatment or behavior without favoritism or discrimination." We are all born into different sects of society - some are born into poverty, others are born into middle class, and a lucky bunch are born into privilege and power. The class of society that we are born into isn't fair at all; it is clear to see that we already start our lives being treated unequally because that is just the way the world turns. I often think about how we can level the playing field and equalize opportunities. I am constantly reminded that there are people who need more help or need things to be easier for them because they weren't born into privilege. And we should be giving them more help and attention because everybody deserves an equal chance of being a productive member of society.

Living in New York City, it is crazy to see the disparity among classes in our society. You honestly can see all walks of life on any single, given day. That is what I cannot forget. I cannot forget that when I walk to the subway in Harlem each morning, there is human feces on the sidewalk because we have skyrocketing rent prices and an abundant amount of homeless people, as a result. I cannot forget that there are groups of people exchanging cash for drugs as soon as I go through the turnstiles. I cannot forget that there is a man, who lives at the bottom of the subway steps and begs for anything, every single day. I cannot forget that I take the subway all the way to the Financial District and get out to see women carrying Givenchy purses and men with crisp suits. I cannot forget that there are people who wear more money on their bodies than some people will ever know in their lifetime or family lineage.

I cannot forget the contrast that thrives in this city. It is forever etched in my mind and it is a constant reminder of how fucked up our nation can be. I cannot turn a blind eye to people because they were born with the short end of the stick. I believe we are all born with a certain amount of privilege - some definitely more than others, but we all have a degree of privilege within us. We need to acknowledge that and use our privilege to help others, where they don't have the same benefit.