What is a rare book?

What is a rare book?

What is a rare book?

104
What is a rare book?

Every year the Grand Palais in Paris hosts the rare book and art exhibition, where archeology, tribal art and rare books are exhibited for an ever-growing audience of collectors. And it is that this room is considered the most important worldwide in its genre. A manuscript by Jorge Luis Borges and a questionnaire by Marcel Proust have caused quite a stir.

Rare books that nobody knows and you should read

Are you one of those who do not read best sellers because you get hives? Are you an orphan of new readings and don't know where to continue? With this very careful selection of rare books, you can cover your next few months of reading and have conversations on another level about stories that no one knows. You will be able, and this is the best thing of everything, even to silence the mouth of that friend of yours who thinks he is very top for having read Shapero. This is a review of all those exciting books that you have to read, once in a lifetime, or all that you have left of life.

Rare books for wacky scientists
Free yourself from everyday life and create something unique and original. Apparently this is the premise that guides the lives of those scientists who throughout history have wanted to break paradigms and shape the strangest books of all. One of those essential titles in a list like this is, without a doubt, Voynich's old manuscript. Not even 103 years after its discovery has it been possible to decipher the mysteries that are hidden here. And this is not just about the language it was written in; the complexity also lies in the species described here, many of them never before known in botanical or zoological literature. It has even been said that it is the travel diary of some extraterrestrial explorers. Another of the essential books in the library of the strange is 'Elements of mathematics ', written by Nicolás Bourbaki.

In this treatise, an attempt is made to bring together all the knowledge of mathematics in order to demonstrate the universality of its language. However, the rarity of this publication is that it is the product of a group of French students whose fascination with the singular led them to create, from scratch, the reputation of a fictional mathematician. The popularity of this text even positioned it as a reference book in schools and universities in Europe. From the list of the strangest published in the world of science also comes 'De re Metallica', whose author was the German alchemist Georgius Agricola.

This is a foundational treatise on modern mining and metallurgy. Everything about this area is discussed here, from mineral extraction methods to the production of derivatives such as glass, sulfur, and aluminum. To complement this review of the rarest of the scientific literature, as 'De Rerum Natura' cannot be ignored. Written in the 1st century BC by Tito Lucrecio Caro, it has been considered the first physics book of history. His texts move between poetry and science, so his reading requires a good dose of imagination to put his principles into practice.