What The Holidays Should Mean To You

What The Holidays Should Mean To You

It's that time of year.

37
What The Holidays Should Mean To You

Holidays are unique to everyone and can be celebrated in a variety of ways. The values behind the holiday season however seem to be lost occasionally, and we should all take time to remember what the season should mean to you. Here is what the season should mean from my perspective.

1. They should be about spending time with your family

There is nothing more important than family. I’m sure we are all more than ready to get back home from college and spend time away from classes and studying. Enjoy the time with your family and friends from back home. Appreciate everyone around you who cares and loves you. That's all that really matters around this time of year: being with the people you care most about.

2. They should be more than getting the best deals

My mother and I go to Kohl’s every year at midnight as our own little tradition, so I’ll be the first to say that it’s nice to get a discount when shopping, especially with the stress behind buying for the whole family. This time of the year definitely gets expensive. As much as you might want those extra savings, Black Friday does cloud the meaning behind the season. Just the day before Black Friday we find ourselves gathered around the table with our families giving thanks for each other and for what we have. This shouldn’t change 12 hours later as midnight approaches and people line the streets ready to race each other to the best savings. This time of year should be about giving and being grateful for what you already have, not what you’re looking forward to buying.

3. They should be more than receiving presents

Although we might have another month or so until gifts are to be given, we should remember that the holidays should be more than getting gifts. Receiving presents will always be fun and heartwarming, but it’s an even better feeling seeing someone smile when you get them something meaningful. Meaningful can be taken in many ways of course, there are silly presents, and serious ones, but all put the holidays into perspective.

4. They should be more than finding the "best" gifts

This point can kind of tie into the last two sections. The holidays shouldn’t be about giving the most extravagant gifts. I know many of the most memorable gifts I have gotten were ones that were hand made. From a bottle tab bracelet from my brother, to hand painted canvases and picture frames, everything is different and unique. Although these gifts might have cost less than $15, they will last with me forever. Extravagant items are meaningful too, but just because they cost more doesn’t always mean they will make the best gift. Expand your ideas! It doesn’t have to cost under $15, but there’s no reason to base worth off the price tag.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a happy and safe holiday season!