The Curious Case Of The Disappearance Of The Standalone Novels

Are standalone novels a thing of the past? Why are so many books being made into series?

54
Janko Ferlic

Do you remember when you would go to the bookstore or library and find that one good book? And you would read it and you were completely satisfied and fulfilled. You remember that feeling? And just that one stand-alone book was enough. My question is, what happened to them? What happened to all the standalone novels?

I mean now whenever I look for a book there’s a sequel or trilogy attached along with it. Why is that? Why aren’t there more standalone books? If you haven’t guessed, I’ve read a lot of series: Harry Potter, Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Percy Jackson, etc. The list goes on. There used to be a time when I would pick up a book and that would be it. Just that one good read in my hands.

I know some of these books need series, I get that! And don’t get me wrong, I love a good book series. But I crave for those standalone novels that fill you up with magic and by the end you’re satisfied. No left-over feelings. Just pure goodness made for one. I won’t lie, some of those standalone novels make me wish they were series. But I think if they were made into a series it wouldn’t be as good as it was before.

Let’s not forget the waiting period between novels. I remember whenever I finished a Harry Potter book, I felt like a hundred years would pass until the next one would come. And what’s worse the book would come out and then, I would finish it, and I would have to start the process of waiting all over again. Harry Potter was crafted beautifully but I’m talking about other book series (which will go unnamed. But you know who you are.)

Which let’s face it, a lot of these trilogies and longer book series can be resolved in one book. But I feel some authors drag out their stories by doing a book series. They tend to ruin their plots and characters and what the book was supposed to be about. I hate having loved the first book at the beginning to eventually not liking it by the end of the series. And let me tell you, I haven’t finished a lot of series because of that very reason.

My personal thought is that I think the authors of these bad series, just honestly want to make an extra buck. I think they see authors like J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyer and think a series is the way to go. Which means more money for them, heck maybe even a movie deal…I could be wrong, though!

I’ve also noticed that these series are particularly popular in YA fiction. Sure, a lot adult books have series as well but not as much as Young Adult. I can name 20 books in YA that has a series attached to it. But you guys know what i'm saying, right!

I’m in need of a good standalone novel. If any of you have any suggestions, drop me a line.