What Happened Obama?

What Happened Obama?

"Apprehending refugees from the Northern Triangle is like arresting someone for jaywalking while she's fleeing a burning building" - Unknown
3

As Obama's presidency comes to an end, there is certainly an air of mixed feelings.

As I have mentioned previously, Obama conjured up a new program called DAPA and the supreme court is currently deciding on whether or not DACA and DAPA are constitutional. While the immigrant community is certainly thankful that Obama has stood by undocumented students and their parents, something else has been occurring.

Under the Obama administration, there have been more than 2.5 million deportations since 2009 and still counting. On the morning of December 25, 2015, the Obama administration declared they had a plan for a mass deportation of the Central American immigrants that had arrived between 2014 and 2015 and had ignored legal proceedings for deportation. You have to ask yourself: why did almost 100,000 families emigrate from Central America? If you are not familiar with the term the "Northern Triangle", it refers to the three countries, Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala where hearing about/witnessing killings have become the daily norm ever since the peace truce between the local gangs ended(x).

Many of these migrant women and children spent their first weekend of 2016 being sent to detention centers where they are subject to daily sexual, verbal, and physical abuse. These people have no legal representation and some neither speak English nor Spanish.

Obama has helped over 700,000 undocumented youth with DACA, however, this same youth is questioning Obama's actions and intentions. According to Tim Rogers on Fusion, Obama is on his way to deporting more undocumented immigrants than any president in the 20th century combined (x).

There has been an even larger influx of children fleeing the Northern Triangle which is also now experiencing a drought. 10,588 unaccompanied children were detained at the US-Mexico border during the months of October and November last year alone (x).

Homeland Security secretary, Jeh Johnson, claims the women and children being deported have "exhausted appropriate legal remedies" when the truth is that none of these people were given the right to a legal counsel.

Yes, it is true that people like Trump speak of doing these horrible things but it's people like our president, Barack Obama, who actually do the terrible things. I am grateful for DACA as I am sure the other recipients are, but we cannot sit and watch from the sidelines as these people desperately reach the US only to be hurled back into the violence.