Believe It Or Not, Several Biblical Figures Faced Depression

You are not alone and you are loved immensely.

61

Depression is a sad word in of itself. No one likes to admit that they have depression, especially Christians. Christians are supposed to have such a strong faith that they never have to deal with depression, right? Wrong.

Nobody is immune to the force of depression and how it can affect someone's life. Some have lost a parent at a young age or watched one slip away to a deadly substance.

Some people struggle with alcoholism and some struggle with guilt from something they've done. Whatever it is, you are NOT alone. Depression feels like an isolating demon that whispers awful things to you to get you to stay in bed, grab that bottle, or something much, much worse. It's not you. It's an evil plague that wants to destroy you.

What does the Bible say about it?

Deuteronomy 31:8 says, "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Have you heard the story of Job? Job was a simple man who honored God and his entire life was turned upside down. He lost his family, his home, his possessions, and still he had so much joy. Trials are guaranteed to come our way in this broken and suffering world.

God aches with us when he are hurting. He knows of every single tear that you cry. A lot of people have this image of a distant God in the sky. I like to think of the analogy of a soldier in the trenches. There's gunfire, friends all around being wounded, and you don't know where to turn. Then, you feel someone come up behind you and come next to you, supporting and guiding you to a safe place. That someone who covers you when the sky showers in debris? That's God.

He has always been right there in the midst of our struggle. "I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him." Psalm 40:1-3

Psalm 42:11 says, "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

Sometimes we don't understand why we are depressed. You may ask yourself, "Why me, God?" Everyone faces spiritual warfare. Much of Psalms was written by David, a powerful figure in the Scriptures.David had everything, and it still wasn't enough. He sought after material things to fill his desires, leaving him lost and confused. Elijah begged God to die because he was so ashamed and didn't see any more reason to live.

As Christians, our salvation doesn't make us perfect in the slightest. We will trip up, but it's up to us to say, "I can't do this on my own, but I can do this with God." That's a HARD thing to do. But I guarantee that, if you are surrounded by supportive friends and family, they will show you the love of God through their listening and prayers.

John 16:33 says, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” You are victorious. Did you read that?

If you got out of bed today and got dressed, you are victorious. If you went to class, you are victorious. If you laughed, you did it. And so on and so forth. Do you ever wonder where that strength comes from? From the cross. Jesus had never sinned, and He held all of the power to condemn those who were scourging and inflicting pain on Him.

When the shouts shifted from "Hosanna!" to "Crucify Him!" He allowed Himself to be beaten, carry a wooden cross many miles, and be nailed and hung so that passersby and guards mocked and laughed while He experienced unimaginable pain. He did that so you could be free. He did that to take your pain upon Himself.

Before all of this, Jesus faced temptation, sadness, the death of a friend, and desperate prayer to God before the time of His crucifixion came.

I want you to know how incredibly special you are. Your depression will never define you, and the beauty of God is in the small things: the sunshine, that paper you wrote, your family, friends, a warm bed, and anything that makes you happy. God is there, through the good and the bad.

You are loved.

You are uniquely made.

You are amazing.

You are NEVER alone in this.

You will find joy again.

You are more.