What Does Art Mean To You?

What Does Art Mean To You?

Deciphering what it means to appreciate art

4511
What Does Art Mean To You?
Raquel Draw/ YouTube

How exactly would you personally define art? Would you agree that art is all about perception? Writer Dorothy Allison stated that “…art is supposed to have the power to provoke, the authority of a heartfelt vision." In my understanding, art is inspiration. The process of being inspired encourages positive emotions which then lead to the process of innovation. In Dorothy Allison’s essay, Allison makes a remark referencing her art being the mind of others as well. She revealed that her work beings to us; we can all relate to her personal opinions and experiences.

Additionally, art is a self-defining process and a creative way for expression. Individually, music is how I cope with different seasons in my life. I often find my perceptions changing during or after certain songs through which I find my own inspiration. Being that I’m such a huge music fanatic, I rely on music to improve my negative thoughts and help sustain the confident ones.

One artist who has changed my life and shifted my consciousness in exclusive situations is J. Cole. Due to the fact that I have faced insecurity issues, I found what J. Cole has to say to be relieving. In Crooked Smile, J. Cole influences the average person to embrace their flaws. Cole's lyrics suggest you accept who are by saying, "You wake up, put makeup on. Stare in the mirror but it’s clear that you can’t face what’s wrong, no to fix what God already put his paint brush on.” When I heard this song, I felt a sense of self-discovery. This song helped me come to realize who I am and what society is.

In the same fashion, I’ve been a victim to poverty for several years, and a song titled “Keep Ya Head Up” by legendary artist 2Pac provided a sense of hope and understanding. In this song 2Pac mentions “they have money for wars but can’t feed the poor” which is accurate according to Uber Facts. Uber Facts exposes that the world collectively spent $1,735 billion on war in 2012 and that It would take about $195 billion to totally eradicate poverty. I also have the tendency to feel inspired by someone who has gone through or is going through something I’m dealing with at the time; this was without doubt one of those moments.

So, I would say Dorothy Allison’s statement is precise. Art should provoke a heartfelt vision. Various art forms can be therapy for the mind, body and soul when taken seriously and can also restore a painful memory. Regardless, art must be felt internally for full understanding.