What Depression Actually Feels Like

I'm Here To Tell You What Depression Is REALLY Like

I've felt it all.

151

This is a poem I wrote when I was depressed — putting what my disease felt like into words. I am beyond blessed and happy that I overcome it. For anyone out there, you are not alone.

Depression is more than just sadness.

Depression is wishing you could stay in bed all day.

Depression is crying right after breakfast, less than 12 hours after you last cried.

Depression is aching to time travel to years before now.

Depression is not talking to anyone about it, because you feel like a burden.

Depression is the smallest thing feeling huge.

Depression is feeling like nothing is going right.

Depression is not being able to sleep at night.

Depression is crying, alone in your room at night.

Depression is feeling like you'll never be good enough.

Depression is feeling numb.

Depression is not being able to really cry for days, then all of it spilling out at once.

Depression is crying and crying until you finally fall asleep.

Depression is crying so hard you can't catch your breath.

Depression is not remembering the last time you were genuinely happy.

Depression is considering suicide multiple times.

Depression is being so close to ending it all, even after a good day.

Depression is having to act okay minutes after.

Depression is practicing a smile to fake in the mirror.

Depression is underlying cries for help, hoping someone hears.

Depression is looking in the mirror and seeing lifeless eyes looking back at you.

Depression is covering it up with a smile and pretending everything is okay.

Depression is an empty smile, trying to cover eyes that say it all.

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline — 1-800-273-8255