What College Women Need To Know About Teeth Whitening

Here's a breakdown of what college women need to know about teeth whitening, and how to avoid common oral hygiene mistakes that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

13
Teeth Whitening
https://pixabay.com/images/id-2740602/

If you're unsatisfied with your dental hygiene, there are many methods you can rely on to strengthen and even whiten your teeth. Nevertheless, far too many college women are ignoring the many tools at their disposal because they wrongfully believe that maintaining good oral hygiene or whitening their teeth is an expensive or difficult endeavor. In reality, you can ensure the longevity of your teeth and the brightness of your smile by taking careful, preventative steps that will ensure you grin widely for years to come.

Be careful when consuming drugs or alcohol

There are many reasons to avoid the excessive consumption of drugs and alcohol, but few people understand just how seriously alcohol consumption can damage your pearly whites. You don't have to abstain from recreational activities altogether, but you should be taking steps to inform yourself of the consequences ahead of time to avoid doing something you'll ultimately regret. As Dr. Hal N. Arnold says, know these three things before you drink, and you'll be a more responsible adult with a better smile than most of your peers. Watching the sugar content of your beverages, avoiding dehydration when partying, and avoiding alcoholic beverages with staining colors are all essential steps if you want to keep your teeth happy and healthy.

You should know that cosmetic tooth bleaching is a mammoth industry worth approximately $3.2 billion, per the latest market research. This means that there are many experts out there who can help you whiten your teeth if you've made mistakes in the past, but only if you know how to sort through the various offerings to identify the legitimate professionals. The Better Business Bureau has some helpful advice worth following when verifying the credentials of your dental specialists to avoid any costly mistakes.

You should also know that your first visit to the dentist after your dentist reopens will likely include new safety measures such as mask wearing and temperature checks. Those who don't regularly solicit the expertise of oral hygienists are likely to end up grappling with tooth decay or - worse yet - the loss of some of their teeth. There's nothing more perilous for your social and professional life than a damaged smile, so understand that some investments (like taking care of your teeth) simply can't be ignored regardless of your age or financial situation.

Listen to the experts

What do the professionals at the American Dental Association have to say about teeth whitening? One of the most popular oral hygiene topics is covered on their page on teeth whitening. It's incredibly popular because "[s]afe and effective whitening options are available for in-office applications, dentist-supplied products for use at-home and over-the-counter whiteners." This means that you can even manage the whitening of your teeth from your own dorm room, apartment, or home if you take the right steps and identify solid over-the-counter brands.

You should also know that removing plaque and preventing cavities effectively requires brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Ideally, you should be brushing after every major meal, and should always remember to swish your mouth with water after drinking sugary beverages. The alternative is the building up of unhealthy gunk in your mouth that will quickly cause pain, discoloration, and the possibility of losing some of your beloved chompers.

College women should be smart enough to take care of their teeth - fail to prioritize oral hygiene, and your romantic and professional pursuits will both be thwarted by a stained, misshapen smile.